Press_Release

‘WHAT IF’ WINS DUAL AWARDS AT MY HERO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

by MY HERO Media from Laguna Beach, CA

137502What if...MY HERO

CONTACT:                                                   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wendy Milette
Director
MY HERO International Film Festival
[email protected]
949-376-5964

WHAT IF…’ WINS MY HERO’S 2019 DAN ELDON ACTIVIST AWARD 

A documentary showcasing a compassionate approach to homelessness in Orange County, CA., has won the Dan Eldon Activist Award at the MY HERO International Film Festival. “What if…,” by director Noah Berlow, illustrates the suffering caused by homelessness and as well as efforts to give homeless families a much-needed leg up. 

More than 500,000 people in the United States are homeless. Thirty-three percent of them are families. Berlow's film shows how the Illumination Foundation is making a difference for Southern California families within their community.

The Eldon Activist Award is presented each year by Kathy Eldon. Her son, Dan Eldon, was killed on assignment as a photojournalist in 1993, when he was 23 years old. Each year, Eldon honors her son’s memory by offering the Dan Eldon Activist Award, which comes with a $500 cash prize. The award is given to the filmmaker who most effectively addresses the theme of activism. Eldon and her team at Creative Visions Foundation select the winning film.

“With emotional interviews and eye-opening footage, "What if..." provides an intimate look into the heartbreaking reality of the homelessness crisis,” said Kathy Eldon. “Not only does it bring critical awareness to the issue, but it also sheds light on the hope that organizations like the Illumination Foundation provide to those suffering from it. It's sure to impact anyone who watches it and will hopefully encourage people to support the foundation and organizations like it!”

In addition to the Eldon Award, “What if…” took the 1st place award in the festival’s Documentary Category. 

The MY HERO International Film Festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories, art, music and short films about everyday heroes throughout the world. Since 1995, MY HERO has hosted the world's largest archive of hero stories, and MY HERO resources are used in classrooms and afterschool programs in 197 countries. Learn more at myhero.com

Watch "What if...," along with other MHIFF winners:
myhero.com/winners