Privacy Policy / Takedown Policy

We’re committed to creating a safe and secure online environment for all of our visitors. We do not sell personal information to third parties. We established The MY HERO Project as a nonprofit educational organization -our mission is to celebrate the best of humanity.

We strive to provide you with access to and control over the information you give us, and we take the protection of your information very seriously.

We take extra precautions for our younger learners.  When The MY HERO Project is used by a School in an educational setting, we rely on communications to the teacher for children under the age of 13. 

MY HERO complies with current regulations, per the laws in the United States 2021, for use of our educational nonprofit website for children under 13 years of age.  Children under 13 are not asked to provide email contact information. Communication for children using MY HERO who are under thirteen is with parental permission or communication directly with their teachers.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/childrens-online-privacy-protection-act

We use contact information, such as an email address of teachers and students over 13 years old, for the following purposes:

1. To contact a writer, artist or filmmaker in order to request further information for a HERO story.
  2. To inform a visitor who has submitted a MY HERO story, work of art, song or short film that we have reviewed and if applicable, approved their content and to notify them of our intent to launch their HERO story on the website for public viewing.

3. To inform the writer of our intent to feature (publish) the story. In this case, we award the writer a MY HERO T-Shirt prize and request the writer's mailing address. A school address may be given and it is often the case that MY HERO will send T-Shirt prizes addressed to the student's instructor at the school address.
  4. We contact teachers and parents who have signed up for our newsletter with email information about materials, activities, or other things that might be of interest to them. 

How do we collect information?

We receive information that visitors put into the MY HERO guestbook entry or into the online registration or survey forms. Cookies are small text files that can be placed in visitors' computer browsers to store their preferences. Cookies are not in use on the MY HERO wesite.

What about outside links?

www.myhero.com contains screened links to other sites. Those sites' information practices may be different from ours. Visitors should consult the other sites' privacy policies because their sites are not covered by our policy.

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT NOTICE & TAKEDOWN POLICY

Notification of Infringement

The MY HERO Project, Inc. (“MY HERO”) abides by the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by responding to written notifications of alleged infringement by legitimate copyright holders by removing material residing on our website, myhero.com  

If you are a copyright owner

If you are a copyright owner and you believe that your work is being infringed upon on our not-for- profit, educational website, MYHERO.COM, we encourage you to contact MY HERO with an informal request for content removal.

When you contact MY HERO please provide the exact URL (the “address” or “location” of the page as shown by your web browser) of the content and provide enough information to substantiate your claim of copyright ownership. You must support your concern with a link to your publication, a scanned page of the work, and enough publication details for MY HERO to evaluate your request.

Informal requests for content removal should be emailed to:  [email protected]

Alternatively, you may initiate a formal DMCA takedown process of copyright infringement notification to MY HERO, via a written communication (by postal mail, overnight mail, or, when digitally-signed, by email) to our copyright agent.  The takedown notice must substantially comply with the provisions of 17. U.S.C. § 512(c)(3)(A).  Submission of a takedown notice further requires that you consent to the jurisdiction of a United States court.  Statutory requirements of a valid DMCA takedown notice include:

• Identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
  • Identification of the specific material that is claimed as infringing and information sufficient to permit MY HERO to locate that material on our website (providing a URL is the best way to help us locate the content quickly);
  • A statement that you believe, in good faith, that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by law;
  • If you are not the copyright owner, a description of your relationship to the copyright owner;
  • Your contact information, including your name, address, telephone number, and email address;
  • A statement, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner; and
  • A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.

MY HERO’s Response to Notifications

Following receipt of a proper written notification, MY HERO will expeditiously remove or disable the allegedly infringing content.  We may suspend or terminate access to the account portions of our website for users that repeatedly or egregiously infringe the copyrights of others.

Copyright Agent Information

Both infringement notifications should be submitted to our Copyright Agent using the following information:

To:                        The MY HERO Project, Inc.

Attention:           Jeanne Meyers, Copyright Agent

Subject Line:      DMCA Notification

Send electronically-signed communication to:

Email:                  [email protected]

Address:             

The MY HERO Project

1278 Glenneyre #286

Laguna Beach, CA  92651

Telephone:  (949) 376-5964

Digital Millennium Copyright Act

You may download and print the full text of the DMCA here:

http://copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf