Visual Artist

The American Institute of Architects Film Challenge

by Abigail Richardson from Oakham in United Kingdom

146172AIA LOGOAIAThe American Institute of Architects (AIA) is a professional organization for architects in the United States. Headquartered in Washington, D.C.

Founded in 1857, the AIA was set up by 13 architects whose goal was to form an organization to promote architects and architecture. Today, they boast nearly 88,000 members worldwide, all working to create more valuable, healthy, secure, and sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, and communities.

The AIA advocates for public policies that promote economic vitality and public wellbeing and offers education, community redevelopment, and public outreach to support the architecture profession. The organization also recognizes and celebrates the best buildings and spaces, and the people behind them,’ offering prestigious awards through over thirty programs.  

The AIA Film Challenge celebrates architects who are addressing some of the biggest issues facing cities today and those who partner with communities and civic leaders ‘to design a healthy, sustainable, just world that improves peoples’ lives.’  

Four short documentary films were chosen as the winners of the 2021 challenge:

First Place: POP Courts! by Brodie Kerst and Lamar Johnson Collaborative. POP Courts! provides much-needed outdoor amenity space in the heart of Chicago's Austin neighborhood. The film will receive a $5,000 cash award as well as other prizes. Watch here: POP Courts!

Second Place: ‘Listen’. by Francisco Lopez de Arenosa. The film presents the restorative efforts made to Chicago's Big Marsh Park aimed at setting the park on a new course, where industry, nature, and culture can safely coexist. Watch here: Listen.

Third Place: ‘Two Pieces of Plywood’, by Kevin Moravec, the story of one campaign: Curbside Notary in Kansas City, Missouri. Designed and built by Hufft Architects, two simple pieces of plywood were used to create portable notary stations for voting locations during the 2020 general election. Watch here: Two Pieces of Plywood

The People's Choice Award went to ‘A Jewel in Appalachia’ by Alex Michl and shows the renovated Lawrence County Public Library in Louisa, Kentucky, designed by OPN Architects. Watch here: A Jewel in Appalachia 

First, Second and third place winners were selected by a panel of judges, while the People's Choice Award was selected through online public votes.

To watch the whole ceremony, go to: The 7th Annual Awards Ceremony.

For further information go to: AIAFilmChallenge.org to learn more about this year's winners and to watch dozens of short films produced in 2021, which creatively feature architecture and the built environment.

146173AIAWiki