Ruth Jones Graves Wakefield

by Aspen Le from Canada, Alberta, Chocrane

“I'll never live them down. They've had a very interesting life.” - Ruth Jones Graves Wakefields

I chose Ruth Wakefield because I love chocolate chip cookies, and she is a great person to do for a project. She is a great role model for people who like baking. I read more than five books about Ruth Wakefield. Ruth arranged with Nestlé's Chocolate Company. The books I have read are all Biographies and are good for finding information.

150928Ruth Wakefield WebMindmeister 

Ruth Graves Wakefield, born Ruth Jones Graves, was born in East Walpole, Massachusetts, United States of America, on June 17, 1903. Ruth grew up in Easton, also in Massachusetts. She had two siblings. Her parents were Helen Vest Jones and Fred Graves. Ruth's dad was married twice, so she had two siblings. Ruth Graves went to school at Framingham State College and studied to be a dietitian and lecturer, and she graduated in 1924. Ruth Jones Graves liked to bake and run her restaurant, and as Ruth was growing up, she met Kenneth Donald Wakefield, who she married in 1926 and started a business in an old Toll House four years after they married, which they called the Toll House Inn. Ruth loved to bake with her grandmother as a child, and she still loved to bake when she was in college. Ruth Wakefield wasn't sure what she would be as she was growing up. Ruth knew she would probably be a skilled baker as an adult. Ruth was influenced by her husband, friends and Tollhouse staff. 

150929Ruth Wakefield Portrait PictureAspen Le 

There were many challenges for Ruth Jones Graves Wakefield. As the Toll House Inn manager with her husband, many things could go wrong. The Toll House only had seven tables that could hold only five people at a time. She also gave birth to two children and ran a restaurant. Eventually, Ruth overcame her challenges with her husband and children and ran the Toll House. Most of Ruth's success came from her baking. The customers loved Ruth Wakefield's skill baking and started asking for recipes from Ruth. She was recognized for her cookies and soon became honoured for her cookies and baking. The community and her town significantly noticed her. A sad thing that happened to Ruth Wakefield as she grew up was that her parents divorced, and her dad remarried another woman. Kenneth Donald Wakefield helped Ruth Wakefield on the journey to popularity and perfection. They opened the Toll House Inn together and grew their family together too. Ruth Wakefield was nervous when she opened her restaurant. She wanted everything to be perfect, and she was swamped in her life, but Ruth was also very kind, helpful, talented and loved.

Fun Facts:

• The meaning of toll house is “ A small house by a toll gate or bridge where money is collected from people who used the road”

• When the Chocolate Chip Cookie was invented Ruth called it the Chocolate Crunch Cookie

• Nestlé’s Chocolate Company made chocolate chips just for Ruth to use in her cookies

• A recipe was printed on the back of almost every chocolate bar an

• Ruth Wakefield sold her recipe for a dollar

• One of the stories of how Ruth Wakefield made cookies, is that Ruth expected the chips of chocolate to melt into the dough of the cookies

• Ruth had a total of 30 and more tables in her restaurant and only started with seven

• Ruth was, and is still, credited with her cookies to this very day

• She received a lifetime's supply of semi-sweet chocolate from Nestlé’s

150930Ruth Wakefield Action PictureAspen Le 

Fun Facts:

• She received a lifetime's supply of semi sweet chocolate from Nestlé’s

• At first I never knew she invented the chocolate chip cookie.

• There are many stories of how she invented the chocolate chip cookie

• Ruth sadly died in 1977 to an illness

• She left a legacy to the world with her chocolate chip cookies

• I never knew she started with only seven tables and got to over sixty

• The Toll House Inn expanded and got bigger for more customers

If I were to meet Ruth Wakefield, the three questions I would ask are: "Can I have your autograph?", "May I taste your food?" and "How much did it cost you to start the Toll House Inn?". I would want to be Ruth's child because I would get to eat her food every day, and it would be cool to be the child of people who owned a big restaurant, but I would not want to be Ruth's child because it would always be busy in the house. All the books I've read about Ruth Wakefield are great to find information about her, and some of those books also have good knowledge of other people. Some people may not like some of the books because they are picture books, and others may enjoy the books because they are picture books and contain lots of information. I am glad I chose Ruth Jones Graves Wakefield because there are not a lot of websites about her, and no one else in my class was doing her. I had to change the person I was doing at least twice and was very frustrated. I had to keep changing my person many times. It took a lot of work to find information about Ruth Wakefield. After reading about Ruth, I consider her a good role model and a hero to the world. One of the many things I learned from the books I have read was that chocolate chip cookies are less old than you think and were only invented in the late 1930's. A thing I could apply to my life, Ruth's, is that you should always keep trying and never give up.

Books About Ruth Wakefield:

• Mistakes That Worked The World’s Familiar Inventions And How They Came To Be by Charlotte Foltz Jones (84 pages long) covers the years of the 1930’s, written in the year 1991 

• covers the years of the 1930s, written in the year 2019

• Girls Think of Everything Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Woman by Catherine Thimmesh (106 pages long) covers the time of 1930, written in 2000-2018 

• How the Cookie Crumbled The True (and not-so-true) Stories of the Invention of the Chocolate Chip Cookie by Gilbert Ford (40 pages long)covers the times of 1926’s-40’s, written in the year 2017

Ruth Wakefield wikipedia - Great place to find info about Ruth Graves Wakefild
Women inventors Ruth Wakefield - Good place to find hero women
Nytimes Ruth Wakefield - Great place to find info about many people
Britannica Kids Ruth Wakefield - Good place for kids and people to find info about other people
America Comes Alive Ruth Wakefield - For finding Ruth Wakefields recipes and more