Health

Real Heroes Are All Around Us

by Nila Rahimi from Tehran in Iran (Islamic Republic of)

"Real heroes are all around us and uncelebrated." Peter Capaldi

So you're asking me who's my hero during the COVID-19 pandemic. Definitely I cannot answer this question with a single word. However, I can divide my answer into sections.

First of all, frontliners and healthcare staff are my heroes because, "A hero is somebody who voluntarily walks into the unknown," says Tom Hanks, and I think medicine has a huge unknown side.

Secondly, my tutors including my family and my school teachers are heroes, since they have adapted to a new digital world which looks simple but is actually sophisticated. Furthermore, they've made a lot of effort educating tomorrow's grownups.

Thirdly, all the courageous people who tried to participate in producing healthcare supplies, all who have survived COVID-19, parents who tried to teach patience to their children during pandemic, all the firms and bosses who kept their staff despite hyperinflation, and generally all the ordinary people who made themselves extraordinary are my heroes. 

Usually heroes are not known worldwide. "You're the hero of your own story," says Joseph Campbell. Therefore, there are countless stories in this world and an unknown number of heroes. I think my hero is anyone intent to make life better for all beings.

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." Joseph Campbell