Marian Wright Edelman

Children's Rights Advocate

Marian Wright Edelman has been an impassioned, lifelong advocate of children's rights since her career began in the mid-1960's. A graduate of Yale Law School, she was the first black woman admitted to the Mississippi Bar.

Edelman has acted as director for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, counsel for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Poor People's Campaign, and director of the Center for Law and Education at Harvard University. She also founded the Washington Research Project, a public interest law firm, which was the parent organization for the Children's Defense Fund (CDF).

Edelman is best known for her work with CDF, which she founded in 1973. CDF has worked tirelessly for four decades to "lift children out of poverty; protect them from abuse and neglect; and ensure their access to health care, quality education and a moral and spiritual foundation."

Watch a 10-minute documentary on Marian Wright Edelman

Marian Wright Edelman and the Children's Defense Fund: A Fight for Children's Advocacy

Producer: Anthony Meng
This documentary tells the story of the Children's Defense Fund and its involvement in legislative efforts toward a better future for America's kids.

Interview with Film Festival Winner Anthony Meng

By: Wendy Jewell
MY HERO Film Festival Interview with Anthony Meng on his award-winning documentary on MARIAN WRIGHT EDELMAN made in his sophomore year of high school.

Read Essays on Marian Wright Edelman (English and Spanish)

Marian Wright Edelman

By: Staff Writer

Marian Wright Edelman is one of the country's leading advocates for children.

Marian Wright Edelman (español)

By: Staff

En los anos 1906, justo de la escuela de leyes de Yale, Marian Wright logró la distinción de estando el primer mujer norteamericano de origen africano dejó entrar en la abogacía de Mississippi...

Books by Marian Wright Edelman

Lanterns: A Memoir of Mentors

By: Marian Wright Edelman
Synopsis Throughout her life and work...

My Soul Looks Back in Wonder: Voices of the Civil Rights Experience

By: Juan Williams, Marian Wright Edelman (Afterword), David Halberstam (Foreword...
Synopsis Deeply personal in tone, ...

The Measure of Our Success: A Letter to My Children and Yours

By: Marian Wright Edelman
From the Publisher The #1 New York Ti...

Portrait of Marian Wright Edelman by Robert Shetterly

Marian Wright Edelman

By: Robert Shetterly
This painting is from Robert Shetterly's portrait series, "Americans Who Tell the Truth."

External Links

Organizer created on 6/21/2018 3:49:18 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 5/20/2020 6:40:04 PM by Xenia Shin