Mother Teresa

by Kenzie from Webb City, MO

A hero is a person that has impacted your life or someone else’s in some way for the good. Mother Teresa is a hero because she was on a mission to help the "poorest of the poor"(Harris,282). She devoted her life to the poor people. "We serve the poor,we nurse Him,feed Him,visit Him (referring to Jesus)(Vardey,24).

Mother Teresa at the age of 12 decided that she was going to be a nun (Harris,282). At age 18 she had decided to begin her training. So, for the first time, Mother Teresa told her mother that she wanted to devote her life to Christ. Her mother opposed, but later said, "all right, my daughter, you go" (Gonzalez-balado). In 1928, she got on a train to began her journey in becoming closer to Christ (Wellman,93). That was the last time that she saw her mother.

While in Ireland she studied with the Sisters of Loreto, who had a mission in India (Harris,283). In 1929, she took her vows and the name Sister Teresa (Vardey,32). She began teaching at St. Mary's High School in India as a Geography teacher (Harris,281).

Mother Teresa had lots of accomplishments in her lifetime of 87 years (Harris,282). In 1979, Mother Teresa earned the Nobel Peace Prize. In 1949 she got her Indian citizenship, and began building houses there. She built houses for the needy from 1952-1997 (Harris,283). Mother Teresa also started lots of schools,orphanages, and hospitals for the lepers and mentally ill.

On September 5,1997, she had a massive heart attack and died in the headquarters of her order in Calcutta (Harris,282). She was 87. Everyone could learn not just by Mother Teresa's words, but yet her actions. " Our aim is to quench the indefinite thirst of Jesus Christ on the cross for love of souls"(Harris,282). She devoted her WHOLE life to the poor and needy, saying goodbye to her family when she was only 18. That is a hero in my eyes.