Manute Bol

by Jacqie from Cedar Grove, New Jersey

Do you know what a hero is? Heroes are people that other people look up to. People look up to heroes because they are an inspiration. Heroes accomplish great deeds, are extraordinary, and sometimes well-known to many. My hero is Manute Bol from Sudan who is a great athlete in the sport of basketball.

Manute Bol was born in Gogrial, Sudan on October 16, 1962. At the age of 18, he moved to America to attend college at Farleigh Dickinson University. Later, he attended Cleveland State University. He was drafted by the San Diego Clippers in the 1983 NBA draft. He was also drafted by the Bullets in 1987.

Manute Bol never forgot his country of Sudan. He accomplished great deeds such as visiting Sudanese refugee camps, and he raised $35 million dollars to give to the Sudanese cause. He also made the Ring True Foundation to continue the fundraiser for the Sudanese refugees. Manute Bol even joined the Sudan Freedom Walk to call attention to modern day slavery and human rights in Sudan.

Manute Bol has qualities that other heroes have such as loyalty, compassion, and determination. Manute Bol is loyal because he believes in his country of Sudan. He is compassionate because he tries to contribute time and money for the homeless, the unhealthy, and the people that are sick and suffering. Bol is very determined to help out in his country and the world.

In conclusion, a hero is someone who devotes himself to helping others. Manute Bol is a hero to many people. He shows them how to try their hardest and never give up. Manute Bol is an example of a hard working person who never gives up. He is trustworthy and accomplishes his goals. Manute Bol is my Sudanese hero.