Filmmaker

Frances Marion: A Pioneer of Early Hollywood

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Frances Marion, born Marion Benson Owens on November 18, 1888, in San Francisco, California, was a pioneering figure in the early days of Hollywood. She was a prolific screenwriter, director, and producer whose impact on the film industry is still felt today. Marion's remarkable career spanned from the silent film era through the transition to sound, making her one of the most influential women in early Hollywood.

Early Life and Career Beginnings

Marion's journey into the world of cinema began in an unconventional manner. After her father's death when she was a teenager, Marion was forced to leave school to support her family. She took on various odd jobs, including working as a sketch artist for a local newspaper. It was during this time that she developed a passion for storytelling.

In 1909, Marion's artistic talents led her to New York City, where she pursued a career in journalism and writing. She found success as a reporter and columnist for publications such as the New York Evening Sun and the San Francisco Examiner. However, it wasn't long before she was drawn to the burgeoning film industry on the West Coast.

Rise to Prominence in Hollywood

Marion's transition to Hollywood marked the beginning of her illustrious career in the film industry. She started as an actress, appearing in a few silent films, but soon realized her true talent lay in writing. In 1915, she sold her first screenplay, "The House of Tears," to the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company, one of the leading production companies of the time.

It wasn't long before Marion established herself as one of the most sought-after screenwriters in Hollywood. She had a knack for crafting compelling narratives and creating memorable characters. Her collaborations with director Cecil B. DeMille, including films like "The Little American" (1917) and "The Ten Commandments" (1923), helped solidify her reputation as a skilled storyteller.

155140Frances MarionWiki 

Marion's career reached new heights in the 1920s when she began working with actress Mary Pickford, one of the most popular stars of the silent era. Their partnership resulted in a string of successful films, including "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" (1917) and "Stella Maris" (1918). Marion's ability to capture the essence of Pickford's on-screen persona endeared her to audiences around the world.

Despite facing significant obstacles as a woman in a male-dominated industry, Marion persevered and continued to excel in her craft. In 1930, she became the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for her work on "The Big House" (1930), a gritty prison drama starring Wallace Beery and Chester Morris.

Marion's success as a screenwriter paved the way for her to pursue other opportunities in Hollywood. In the 1930s, she transitioned to directing, becoming one of the few female directors in an industry dominated by men. Her directorial efforts, including "The Love Light" (1921) and "Just Around the Corner" (1938), showcased her talent behind the camera and further solidified her status as a trailblazer in the film industry.

Frances Marion's contributions to the early days of Hollywood are immeasurable. Her groundbreaking work as a screenwriter, director, and producer helped shape the landscape of American cinema. She paved the way for future generations of women in the film industry and inspired countless filmmakers with her pioneering spirit and creative vision.

Watch this film from the MY HERO Project interviewing Cari Beauchamp, an award-winning author, film historian and documentary filmmaker, who famously rescued Frances Marion "from the footnotes of history."

Also check out Beauchamp's book Without Lying Down: Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood  which celebrates Frances Marion and other female Hollywood legends.