ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE FILMS: HIGH SCHOOL

One Class Period Environmental Science Lesson Plan for High School Students

Enrich Student Learning

Environmental High School

Environmental Activists Making a Difference: Films Total Run Time Approximately 29 minutes

Rainforest Action

Will Parrinello

In 2020 Nemonte received the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize and was named to Time Magazine’s Top 100, its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world. (8:30 minutes run time)

Nemonte Nenquimo, Ecuadorian Waorani Indigenous leader, whose Indigenous campaign and legal action resulted in a court ruling protecting 500,000 acres of Amazonian rainforest and Waorani territory from oil extraction. 

Wangari Mathaai, the founder of the Green Belt Movement, was a Kenyan social environmental,  and a political activist and the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. 

Wangari Maathai Tribute Film

Produced by:Collaborative Partnership on Forests

To commemorate and honor the life and work of Professor Wangari Maathaai, founder of the Green Belt Movement. (6:51 minutes run time)

Mother of All Rivers

Produced by:Will Parrinello | Executive Producer: Goldman Environmental Prize

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to wage a grassroots protest that successfully pressured the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam. (8:52 minutes run time)

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to wage a grassroots protest that successfully pressured the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam.

The daughter of the Xeni Gwet’in chief, Marilyn Baptiste learned early about values and the importance of protecting the land. She demonstrates that a one-woman roadblock is powerful enough to stop even the most intimidating of mining companies. 

One Woman Roadblock

Produced by:Mill Valley Film Group

A former tribal chief, Marilyn Baptiste led her native community in defeating proposed gold and copper mines that would have destroyed Fish Lakea source of spiritual identity and livelihood for her people. (4:57 minutes run time)

Discussion Questions

1. Each of the women featured in the films made a positive difference in their communities. What character traits do they share that made their efforts successful?

2. Do some research. What environmental issues are people working to eliminate around the world?

3. Create a list of environmental issues you are concerned about. What can you and other students in your school do to make a positive difference in the environment? Share your efforts with MY HERO.

Example of Young Activists Making a Positive Difference 

Both Oluwaseyi Moejoh and Heather Brockbank are young activists making a positive difference in their communities. They each speak about the need for better waste plans and how that is connected to the health of oceans.

Ocean Hero Spotlight

Jessica Vance

Oluwaseyi Moejoh from Nigeria and Heather Brockbank from the Bahamas share their stories of ocean activism. (4:20 run time)

1. How are sanitation and the health of the ocean connected? 

2. Why is Environmental Education important?

3. Check the websites of each girl included in the film. What progress are they making?

Harmful Effects of Plastic Waste on Our Oceans

Plastic Plague

Produced by:Jody Lemmon

Plastic pollution is threatening the ocean's ecosystems, but we can work together to prevent further damage! (4:46 minutes run time)

1. Plastic is harmful to our waterways and oceans. What are some things you can do to make a positive difference in solving this problem?

2. Have students brainstorm what they can do to reduce the use of plastic at school and at their homes. Encourage them to create an action plan and share their story with MY HERO. 

3. Why is environmental education important? 

Organizer created on 2/8/2023 12:05:24 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/22/2024 10:08:47 AM by Laura Nietzer