Taylor Swift

by Robert from San Diego

(http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Taylor+Swift+Ce ())

The 22-year-old musician, Taylor Swift was honored with an award by the Kennedy family for her philanthropic efforts, honorees including former U.S. President Bill Clinton, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, musician Bono, actor George Clooney and Vice President Al Gore. As a musician, such a feat is generally unobtainable, but Taylor's efforts have shown otherwise. Born on December 13, 1989 in Pennsylvania with her parents on a farm. Taylor was the daughter of Scott and Andrea Swift. Singing was part of her family, inspired by her grandmother; she had her debut at the age of 16. Taylor is a famous musician who has won awards, contributed to the country genre and made significant contributions to charitable organizations. She traveled around and ended up as a songwriter for Sony at 14. She went to high school in Hendersonville, Carolina. Her achievements include; "Sang National Anthem at Philadelphia 76ers game at age 11; signed at age 14 as staff songwriter by Sony Tree publishing house, Nashville; signed as performer by Big Machine label; released Taylor Swift, toured with Rascal Flatts, 2006; toured with George Strait, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, and Faith Hill, 2007; released Fearless, 2008; released Speak Now, 2010. Country Music Association, Horizon Award, 2007; Academy of Country Music, Top New Female Vocalist, 2008; CMT Music Award, Video of the Year for " Love Story," 2009; CMT Music Award, Female Video of the Year for " Love Story," 2009; Teen Choice (Music) Award, Best Female Album for Fearless, 2009; and Teen Choice (Music) Award, Best Female Artist, 2009; Teen Choice Award for breakout female in a choice movie for Valentine's Day, 2010; People's Choice Award for Favorite Female Artist, 2010; Grammy Award for Album of the Year for Fearless,, 2010; Grammy Award for Best Country Album for Fearless,, 2010; Grammy Award for Best Female Country Vocal Performance for "White Horse," 2010; Grammy Award for Best Country Song for "White Horse," 2010; Academy of Country Music, Entertainer of the Year Award, 2011; People's Choice Award for Favorite Country Artist, 2011; CMT Music Award for video of the year, 2011; Grammy Award for Best Country Song, 2011; CMT Award for Video of the Year for "Mine," 2011; named Entertainer of the Year by the Country Music Association, 2011; Grammy Award for Best Country Song and Best Country Performance for "Mean," 2012; Big Help Award from the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, 2012" (Gale). To become a hero, Taylor has used strong, meaningful and passionate lyrics to express her connection to the young audience and explain her thoughts on many situations these teens find themselves stuck in. With her large, selfless donations to many organizations, Taylor has been able to change to society with her contributions. Taylor's efforts have proven her as a hero, with her passionate lyrics and selfless donations she has obtained a name recognized for much more than just being a singer.

(http://www.posh24.com/photo/1888714/taylor_swift_r ())

Taylor Swift's passionate lyrics are able to reach through to people who connect with the ideas she sings about, the strength of these connections are what make her a hero. This line comes from Taylor's song Mean, the song is a response to those who cross the line with criticism and bullying;

"Someday, I'll be living in a big old city,

And all you're ever gonna be is mean.
Someday, I'll be big enough so you can't hit me,
And all you're ever gonna be is mean.
Why you gotta be so mean?" (Swift). 

Taylor's lyrics from Mean express the feeling that a bully feels when they recognize their actions. Along with the idea that they will realize their efforts are in vain and they are in the wrong. Many people in her youthful audience have probably experienced if not been a part of bullying another person. When they think about the song and look back on this situation they may have mixed feelings about their decision. Taylor uses a strong connection to emotion with these lines and is able to connect it to her audience. The next set is from Invisible, Taylor; 

"She's never gonna love you like I want to.
And you just see right through me.
If you only knew me
We could be a beautiful
Miracle,
Unbelievable
Instead of just invisible.

There's a fire inside of you
That can't help but shine through.
She's never gonna see the light
No matter what you do"
 (Swift). In the perspective of the boyfriend, the girl is the one who is unable to see the light inside of him, but he keeps bringing himself down. When he is being reminded of his own flaws it distracts him and doesn't allow him to see anything outside of what she sees in him, which is nothing. Taylor is trying to reinforce that fact that everybody is special on their own account, people don't recognize this and only think about their flaws, and when others point out these flaws it only makes someone think of them again, as if they don't already know them. By using two common situations that are faced by many teens across the world, Taylor's strong connections are able to have a firm impact on the hearts of these teens.

(http://omg.yahoo.com/taylor-swift/)
(http://omg.yahoo.com/taylor-swift/)

Taylor has made many selfless contributions to numerous organizations, as a hero, these philanthropic donations show how she is willing to give away such large amounts to a good cause. Taylor made a large contribution to the Country Music Hall of Fame, and the director of the project talks about her attitude, "In terms of what it will allow us to do, we do education very well now. It will allow us to do what we do better, serve more people, develop new programs and I'm happy to say that as we talked through this opportunity with Taylor, she very much wants to be involved in an advisory capacity in what we do. Is there a better person out there who's in touch with a young audience? I think not. I was joking we should be paying her to do that. I was only joking" (Young). Taylor's efforts throughout her career have always supported country music, but this is a direct contribution to the hall of fame's education center to help with it's expansion. Her influence on the other audience for this genre is very large as the main idea of the project is to educate those who enter the museum. Seeing as she has a direct link to the youthful population of country/pop fans, this will easily affect most listeners directly. What puts her up with other charitable people is her strong willingness to be a part of the organization she donates to. Taking advantage of her position with her audience, Taylor's actions are looked up to by many young teens. Her selfless efforts may even inspire others sometime in the future. Taylor was honored with an award by Robert F. Kennedy that matches with President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore, "Last night at The Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights, Taylor was honored with the Ripple of Hope Award. Presented to her by Kerry and Rory Kennedy, the award honors leaders of the international business, entertainment, and activist communities who demonstrate commitment to social change"(Swift). Honored for her philanthropic efforts, Taylor has made many contributions that changed lives at the age of 22. The Ripple of Hope Award is to acknowledge role-models whose passion, energy and skill have created a positive impact in the lives of others. Taylor's actions have earned her an award that is on the same tier as President Bill Clinton, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Bono, George Clooney and Vice President Al Gore. Being on the same level as some of these powerful figures just goes to show how strong of a community she has built with her donations at such a young age. With enough donations to present a commitment to changing society, Taylor's efforts have earned her such a great achievement as a musician. Not many musicians are able to dedicate so much time to activities outside of their comfort zone. She has done a phenomenal amount compared to most musicians in the industry. Overall, Taylor's selfless efforts have earned her a prestigious award and recognition by many figures outside the industry. Such a feat performed by someone of her status is what makes her a hero.

Taylor's extensive donations and connecting lyrics have established her connection with youth and society as a hero. She is able to bring full meaning to a song, and obtain high tier awards at such a young age. Taylor Swift has inspired me and many teens across the country to make a stand and work to preserve her efforts in trying to make society a better place with her music and donations. Without her musical connections, we may not have been able to recognize all the points she has put across in her lyrics.

Works Consulted

"Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum Nashville, TN Country Music Hall of Fame."

Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 May 2013.

Michael, Ray. "Swift, Taylor." Britannica Biographies (2012): 1. Biography Reference Center.

Web. 7 May 2013.

"Taylor Swift Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 01 May 2013.

"Taylor Swift." Contemporary Musicians. Vol. 65. Detroit: Gale, 2009. Biography In Context.

Web. 2 May 2013.

"Taylor Swift." Gale Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2008. Biography In Context. Web. 2

May 2013.

"Taylor Swift." Taylor Swift. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 May 2013.

Swift, Taylor "Red" Red. BGR Oct 2012.