Oprah Gail Winfrey

by Chelsea from Alabama

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

As I think of the word hero, the first thing that comes to my mind is someone that has overcome great obstacles in their life and has integrity. Some people’s role models are supermodels or singers. But when I really think about it, a major thing that comes to my mind when I think of these role models is how the modern day child’s life is being ruined. On runways in fashion shows, girls are seen appearing as a skeleton in what looks like drapes on her. So many children have died from eating disorders or killed themselves from being picked on for being “too” fat. So many girls and boys these days are being pressured by so many things to be the perfect image.

<a href=http://media.komotv.com/images/070105_Oprah.jpg>Oprah at the Oscars </a>
Oprah at the Oscars

Oprah Gail Winfrey is my hero. She addresses her weight and acknowledges it. She knows she is not the skinniest person in the whole wide world, but she doesn’t aim to be super skinny. She is maintaining her weight. She has a strict diet, and does work out. Oprah doesn’t take it to the next limit. She does not stop eating altogether. She does not work out excessively.

<a href=http://www.pressekatalog.de/Cover/Contentplus/910224155.jpg>Oprah </a>on the cover of her very own magazine
Oprah on the cover of her very own magazine

Oprah tries to help the girls who are in her situation hoping that they will not become what she used to be. She didn’t like herself in that body, but she did not go overly obsessed and try to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time.

Oprah in South Africa with a young little child

Oprah has succeeded in her life in many different ways. She has been a television talk show host, United States actress, and a business woman. She was named Miss Black Tennessee 1971, starred in movies The Color Purple 1985, and Beloved 1998. She has become the host of the nationally syndicated television show The Oprah Show in 1986. She introduced Oprah’s Book Club in 1996. She founded the O: The Oprah Winfrey Show. She was awarded the Spingarn medal in 2000. Oprah was the only Black billionaire for three years running. She has been hailed as the most influential woman in her generation. She is a dedicated activist for children’s rights. In 1994, President Bill Clinton signed a bill into a law that Oprah had proposed to Congress, creating a nationwide database of convicted child offenders.

A role model should be someone with integrity and who has overcome many magnificent and amazing obstacles. Role models are people who could be looked up to, and others want to be a "mirror- perfect" image of them. I would not go so far as to say that I would have surgery to become like Oprah, but she has inspired me and thousands of other people to help others in every way possible.

Oprah.com - All you need to know about Oprah
Oprah Winfrey- Wikipedia - This site has tons of information about Oprah and her life. It includes her biography and lots of information on her career
Oprah Winfrey Biography - Loads of information about Oprah's success in her life