John Lennon

by Jenna from San Diego

(www.lifeinapile.com)
(www.lifeinapile.com)

The writer of over 193 songs, the co-founder of the most popular band ever, and a human devoted to creating worldwide peace. John Lennon was in of one of the most influential rocks bands in the world, The Beatles. He made some of the best music from his time, and ours. He was forcing messages through his lyrics and fighting for people's peace, freedom, and everything in between. John Lennon is a hero because he used his fame and fortune for good and for the benefit of others. He did everything he could to make the world a better place, and he was driven to improve himself and the world.

(www.forumfree.it)
(www.forumfree.it)

John Lennon was born in Liverpool, England in the middle of an air raid over his town during World War II. John grew up without a father, and his mother died when he was young. John was doubted by his teachers and by his Aunt Mimi, who said he couldn't get far with music ("John Lennon." St. James). But despite what they said, John met Paul McCartney and they became just about the most dynamic duo in the history of music. On June 4th 1962, the Beatles signed with Parlophone Records and they released their first song, "Love Me Do" ("John Winston Lennon."). The Beatles continued to release many singles and albums that hit top charts, such as A Hard Day's Night (1964), Help! (1965), Let It Be (1970), and many, many more. After years of tours, releases, and concerts, The Beatles split up, right after the release of the album, Abbey Road. The split was blamed on Yoko Ono, Lennon's wife, but rumors were struck down and it made him want to show his commitment to Ono even more than before ("John Winston Lennon."). "After the breakup, John stayed committed to Ono, going to political events with her and even spending their honeymoon encouraging peace ( "Lennon, John Ono 1940 - 1980." Oxford). John continued till the day he died, delivering messages of peace and love.

(www.pixabay.com)
(www.pixabay.com)

John Lennon is a hero because he used his fame and fortune to do good for the less fortunate and for those who needed it. John was a celebrity who was noted to be victimized by his own fans, and who used his fame to draw attention to various causes ("John Lennon." St. James).  He was pressured into doing things for his fans because he always wanted to please everybody. He used the attention he got from his audiences to shed light on the causes and the current politics or wars currently being fought. Lennon was extremely selfless, diverting his attention to what needed it. He continued to fight for others, and he held a concert in Madison Square Garden to give proceeds to mentally handicapped children ("John Lennon." Biography.com). Lennon held this concert after he was threatened to be kicked out of the United states, due to his "marijuana conviction" in the U.K. ( "John Lennon." Biography.com). Even though John was angered by this, and believed these weren't the true reasons he was being booted, he held this concert for children with mental disabilities in New York City. He did this for the benefit of the children who needed it, not for himself.

John Lennon was also a hero because he was driven on spreading and making peace. In 1969, he and his wife, Yoko Ono, spent their entire honeymoon having a "'bed-in for peace' lasting seven days in the Amsterdam Hilton Hotel; during this they gave hundreds of interviews publicizing their peace message" ("Lennon, John Ono 1940 - 1980." Oxford). Lennon devoted an entire week to this because he wanted to make it such a point on how important peace and having harmony with one another is. He and Yoko hung posters above their bed and allowed press to come into their room freely for 12 hours a day. He knew that people would want to get a picture of him, or an interview with him, and he used that to spread a good message. John Lennon did this not for his benefit, but for the benefit of the world. He just wanted peace. "Lennon's work for peace, and his broader political thinking, were given added focus and momentum through his meeting and subsequent liaison with the performance artist Yoko Ono" ("Lennon, John Ono 1940 - 1980." Oxford). Yoko Ono was from a wealthy Japanese family, and she had very strong opinions about peace, love, and politics. When The Beatles split in 1970, it was because Lennon was the first to leave. He instantly struck these rumors down and showed his dedication to Yoko Ono even more. Showing Ono how devoted he was to the message they were spreading made the relationship even more committed. So he spread the message, all across the world. Give peace a chance.

(www.relix.com)
(www.relix.com)

John Lennon is an inspiration to others because he devoted his entire life to making the world a better place. And it worked, he inspired others. "In 1990 a ceremony in the United Nations building in New York included the playing of a tape of Lennon speaking on the subject, and was broadcast around the world. In times of war - the Gulf War in 1991, and the World Trade Center attack in 2001, for instance - Lennon's peace songs invariably emerged on the airwaves, often accompanied, as in those two cases, by attempts at censorship" ( "Lennon, John Ono 1940 - 1980." Oxford ). "After John died, hundreds of bereaved fans kept a vigil outside the Dakota-Lennon's apartment building-and demonstrations of mourning were held around the world" ( "Lennon, John Ono 1940 - 1980." Oxford ). Lennon is a hero because he did many things for the music industry, people, and politics. He changed the world of music and he changed how many people look at wars, religions, love and etc. John Lennon changed the world just by being who he is, singing what he thought, and fighting for what he believed in. He inspires me every day because I want to make a difference in myself and the world, just like him. The writer of over 193 songs, the co-founder of the most popular bands ever, and a human devoted to creating worldwide peace, he sure did change the world.

"John Lennon." Biography.com. Ed. Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 08 Dec. 2015. Web. 23 Jan. 2017

Middleton, Richard. "Lennon, John Ono 1940 - 1980." Oxford Dictionary Of National Biography (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 12 Jan. 2017.

"John Lennon." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, Gale, 2013. Student Resources in

Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2419200712/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=ee3cafeb.

Accessed 17 Jan. 2017.

"John Winston Lennon." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Student Resources in

Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631003892/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=39ee3b8c.

Accessed 17 Jan. 2017.