Abraham Lincoln

by Yethan from San Diego

(fineartamerica.com )
(fineartamerica.com )

As A. P. J. Abdul Kalam once said, "Let me define a leader. He must have vision and passion and not be afraid of any problem.  Instead, he should know how to defeat it.  Most importantly, he must work with integrity".  This quote portrays Abraham Lincoln's life very accurately.  Lincoln is widely regarded as a great president, in terms of politics, and morals. " One historical view prizes the Civil War as a 'war for nationality' and makes Lincoln into the 'Great Nationalist' of the modern historians, a man who had a religious faith in the Union. Another view cherishes him as an American Moses or Christ, one who spoke to mankind" (Abraham Lincoln).  He is most known for standing up for the African-Americans, and trying to reunite the Union.  Although he faced heavy criticism and pressure because of his beliefs, he persevered and accomplished his goal.  With his integrity and determination, Lincoln is an inspiration and role-model for all people.

Abraham Lincoln is considered by many as one of the best presidents in history, and a huge inspiration because of his integrity and good morals.  Throughout his life, he proved these characteristics time after time, especially when, " Lincoln waited until after the victory at Antietam, when it would have real meaning as a war measure, to issue his Emancipation Proclamation.  Later, at Gettysburg, he gave the war its universal meaning as a struggle to preserve a nation 'conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal" (Abraham Lincoln).  By issuing the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves in the confederate states, Lincoln believed that all people should be treated fairly, which illustrated that he had integrity and good morals.  When Lincoln stated that "all men are created equal", he showed that he had good moral principles, because he believed that no matter what race or gender, everybody should be treated equally.  Lincoln also showed his integrity after the war: "Lincoln lobbied hard in December and January for the Thirteenth Amendment which would ban slavery throughout the U.S. and was delighted with its passage on January 31, 1865."(Abraham Lincoln).  Through his actions of trying to ban slavery with helping to  pass the 13th Amendment, Lincoln shows that he was fair to the African-American slaves. He worked extremely hard, and received a boatload of stress, but he still continued to do what was right about slavery, and ended up abolishing it, therefore cementing himself into history.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln )

Lincoln heavily relied on his determination and perseverance which helped him during the Civil War, when his goal was to reunite the Union.  Lincoln was criticized during the war for taking "dictatorial powers", he also "censored the telegraph and mails", and "authorized the suspension of habeas corpus, and freedom of the press was often curtailed.  At times it seemed to Lincoln that he had more enemies in the Union than in the Confederacy.  He also had to endure a series of ineffectual generals commanding the Army of the Potomac. Characteristically, Lincoln began to educate himself in military history and strategy, borrowing books from the Library of Congress so that he might better serve his country in time of war" (Abraham Lincoln). Despite being under heavy pressure and criticism, Lincoln did not let that deter him from finishing his goal.  Instead, he used that criticism to motivate himself, and become a better leader.  Even when his own side was against him, Lincoln still persevered and continued at his goal.  "As the war dragged on, Lincoln's critics began to question his chances for reelection." Many people in Congress were scheming against him, and it was "only the loyalty of the people and final military success that secured his re-election.  It [Second Inaugural Address] lacked bitterness toward the South and urged his people 'to bind up the nation's wounds.' 'With malice toward none; with charity for all,' Americans could achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace."

His second inaugural address was brief.  Americans could achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace"(Abraham Lincoln).  Lincoln continues to show that even with people doubting him, he is still determined to accomplish his goal.  Lincoln stepped up his game when he needed it the most, and that determination paid off, and he succeeded his goal.

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong" (Abraham Lincoln).  Abraham Lincoln was a fair person who believed that all people should be treated as equals, and that the Union should be unified.  In order to make his dream happen, Abraham Lincoln demonstrated determination and perseverance.  "President Lincoln endured extraordinary pressures during the long Civil War.  He carried on despite generals who weren't ready to fight, assassination threats, bickering among his Cabinet members, huge loss of life on the battlefields, and opposition from groups such as the Copperheads.  However, Lincoln remained brave and persevered.  He didn't give in to the pressures and end the war early... We honor Abraham Lincoln for his actions in preserving the Union and beginning the process of freedom for slaves" (Norton, R. J.).  Abraham Lincoln will always be remembered as a hero for his determination and integrity.

(http://www.historyplace.com/lincoln/ )
(http://www.historyplace.com/lincoln/ )

Works Cited Page

"Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 26 Mar. 2015

"Abraham Lincoln." Historic World Leaders. Gale, 1994. Biography in Context. Web. 28 Mar. 2015  

Pinsker, Matthew. "Abraham Lincoln." The Presidents: A Reference History. Charles Scribner's Sons, 2002.Biography in Context. Web. 28 Mar. 2015.

Norton, R. J. "The Accomplishments of President Abraham Lincoln." The Accomplishments of President Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln Research Site, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2015.