Anne Frank

by Anna Johnson from Cincinnati

"I Must Uphold My Ideals."
Anne Frank
Anne Frank

During the holocaust a little Jewish girl named Anne Frank had to endure so much pain and misfortune in her life. Despite her despair she was a happy and joyous girl. All Jews were being shipped off to labor camps because of their religion. She and her sister were separated from their parents to be shipped off to a labor camp because of their youth on September 1944. But through this all her spirits were not affected, she was optimistic and happy, and she refused to change her religion.

the
the

Anne was born the second child of Otto and Edith Frank. She was born on June 12, 1929, in Frankfurt, Germany - 12 years before the holocaust started. Both of Anne Frank’s parents were wealthy and had the upbringing of a wealthy child. Otto was the son of a banker and had had "a real little rich boy's upbringing." To Anne's parents their happiness was more important than their grades. She and her sister were pampered. Anne was crazy about her father, "good old Pim." She crawled into his bed when she was frightened, they prayed together, and she cut his hair.

During her life in hiding they lived in a place called the annex. "For much of the time life in the annex was a series of greater and lesser vexations: rotting potatoes, lights that failed, beans that spilled, clothes that didn’t fit, doctors' visits that had to wait, and so forth." Anne constantly yearned to be alone, for privacy and freedom of movement. Compared to some Jews she had a particularly "normal" life. She checked out books from the library, still received fan magazines and cut out pictures of her favorite movie stars. She experimented with different hairdos. On May 3, 1944 she referred to her situation as "amusing" "a dangerous adventure, romantic and interesting at the same time." Writing to Anne was "the finest thing I have"" I can shake off everything when I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn...." (We are Witnesses: Five Diaries of Teenagers Who Died in the Holocaust)

Anne was forced into a labor camp in September 1994 to be used as a human slave. The labor camps consisted of hundreds of Jews by the time Anne was put into one. There was very little food and water in a labor camp, if any. Her parents were put into a concentration camp, much like the labor camps, far away from Anne and Margot. Labor camps and concentration camps were full of diseases. A very common disease to catch was typhus. The most common was Murine typhus. The symptoms of this were abdominal pain, backache, a dull red rash that begins on the middle of the body then spreads, an extremely high fever(105-106 degrees Fahrenheit, i.e. 41 degrees Celsius), a hacking, dry cough, headache, joint pain, nausea, and vomiting.

Auschwitz concentration camp
Auschwitz concentration camp

They died of Murine typhus on April 15, 1945. Anne's dad was the only one of their family to survive. For the remaining period of his life he tried to spread Anne's story and her diary as a novel.

The HopeSite HomePage - gives you infomation and links about Anne Frank.
Anne Frank - gives you Anne Frank's history
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - a short summary of Anne Frank's journey
Holocaust Encyclopedia - history of Anne Frank during the Holocaust
Who is Anne Frank? - all about Anne Frank