Press_Release

2018 HERO FEST TO HONOR ESTEEMED LAGUNA BEACH PSYCHOLOGIST JUDITH ANDERSON Ph.D.

CONTACT:                                                                                         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jeanne Meyers
Co-founder/Director
The MY HERO Project
949-376-5964
[email protected]

LAGUNA BEACH, CA - MAY 8, 2018 – The MY HERO Project is happy to announce that Judith Anderson Ph.D. is the recipient of this year’s Community Hero Award, which will be presented at the 2018 Hero Fest. The award honors Anderson’s many contributions to families in the Laguna Beach Community. From her efforts at her non-profit Foundation for the Contemporary Family to her work with community programs, Anderson has been a champion for students and parents. 

124190Dr. Judith Anderson - winner of 2018 Community Hero Awardcourtesy of Dr. Judith Anderson

“I am so grateful to Judy for her ongoing support for teachers and students around the globe who use MY HERO,” says MY HERO Co-founder and Director Jeanne Meyers. “I am grateful for her leadership with the PTA in Laguna Beach, bringing together parents and leaders in the field of education and parenting to help guide and nurture our community with the launch of Coffee Break for parent education and communication.”

Anderson, a licensed clinical psychologist, has had a private practice for more than 20 years, specializing in couples and family therapy. She teaches at the U.C. Irvine College of Medicine, where she also supervises psychiatry residents. Her practice focuses on families and couples; she is recognized as an expert in the areas of blended families, divorce, and remarriage. 

The Foundation for the Contemporary Family is a non-profit foundation with a mission to support research, clinical training, and community programs that address the complex issues faced by contemporary families. The foundation has helped bring internationally renowned researchers and clinicians to Orange County and has offered grants for innovative programs and dissertation research. The Anatomy of Intimacy series at UC Irvine, in particular, has become the premier forum for ongoing clinical education in couples and family therapy in Southern California (anatomyofintimacy.com).

At the 2012 Ed Tech conference ISTE, Anderson talked about MY HERO and the principles of developing heroic behavior in children. “When kids are taught and reinforced by teachers and parents that they expect them to take action, they are more likely to do so,” she said.“Studying heroes and how heroes think and what they do is a way to help kids model and begin to develop their own heroic imagination.”

Anderson has been a generous supporter of The MY HERO Project and its use of heroism as a teaching tool. She helped launch MY HERO’s Teacher’s Room, which is now used in classrooms throughout the world. “She has been a champion for promoting compassionate education and understanding throughout the website,” says Meyers. “We are pleased to shine a light on her important contributions at the HERO Fest this year.”

Through the foundation, Anderson also supports the work of MY HERO with the Relationships First Award. The award honors filmmakers whose work reflects the intricate issues and dynamics found in all sorts of modern families. , The Relationships First Award is presented each year at the MY HERO International Film Festival.

The HERO Fest is an evening of Music, Art and Short Films that celebrate local and global heroes.

Learn more about the HERO Fest

June 2, 2018 - 7:00 pm
Forum Theater inside Festival of the Arts 
Laguna Beach, CA

RSVP 

Click here to learn more about the Relationships First Award or to submit your film.

For more information, contact Wendy Milette at [email protected]

1242382018 Hero FestMY HERO