Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler''s Olympics

By Jeremy Schaap

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company, February 2007
ISBN: 0618688226
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Annotation
In 1936, against a backdrop of swastikas flying and storm troopers looming, an African-American son of sharecroppers set three world records and won an unprecedented four gold medals, single-handedly crushing Hitler's myth of Aryan supremacy. The story of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics Games is that of a high-profile athlete giving a performance that transcends sports. But it is also the intimate and complex tale of the courage of one remarkable man.
User Reviews:
| 4/29/2010 6:12 PM
jesse owens was an amazing man and an insperation to us all.
Sarah | 4/25/2010 5:20 AM
I am writing a report on my American hero, and Jesse Owens is the epitome of American heroes. This book was so helpful with writing my paper and the facts are astounding, I barely knew any of the facts that were in there, and they were really interesting. Go out and read this book!
sydney | 3/11/2010 7:14 AM
do u have any imformational facts about him i could really use then becuz im in college and im doing a report in him and i have 2 pages but i need 5

Be sure to check out the MY HERO essay about Jesse Owens and the Related Links at the end of the story for more information about him:

http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=JesseOwens_fredericksburg_academy_03

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

angel | 1/27/2010 8:01 AM
Jesse Owens  was   a  great  runner. And  person,Because  he's    the  1# winner
kiana | 1/31/2009 6:10 AM
wow nancy, you are lucky. My english teacher's grandpa was a man who competed in a spot in the olympic team. he lost but jesse owens won. and the rest is history. litterally. :)
-kp
Noura | 8/23/2008 12:45 AM
YOURE SO LUCKY NANCY TO MEET SUCH A GREAT AND INFLUENTIAL MAN LIKE JESSE OWENS.
Nancy Minor | 3/8/2008 7:38 AM
I met Jesse Owens in 1979! I was working at a print shop in Tampa, Florida and this old black man came strolling through the door with a bunch of old black and white picture and he asked me if I could reprint them and enlarge them for him. I started looking at all of the pictures and noticed he was a runner and asked him who was in the pictures. He said it was him, then proceeded to tell me his story. I was so shocked and amazed. He told me about going to the Olympics in Germany and how he kept winning medals and Hitler didn't like it and left. Wow! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He obviously died shortly after that. The world is a better place for having him in it.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews