Sojourner Truth: Voice For Freedom (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)

By Kathleen V. Kudlinski

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's, December 2002
ISBN: 0689852746
MY HERO recommends this book to children readers.
Synopsis
Once you finish this book you sit back and marvel at how a woman who, as a brutally abused slave, rose to fill her life and the life of others with hope, faith and paths to justice. This woman who could not read or write learned how to use the legal system to force people to follow the law. At an early age she was separated from her parents, as most slaves were, and she quickly learned that she could be beaten for no reason. When you think of slavery and brutal treatment you think of the southern states, but Belle, who later changed her name to Sojourner Truth, lived and was a slave in New York State. Much of her hope stemmed from her belief in Jesus. As a child her parents told her Bible stories and they frequently recited the Lord's prayer at night before sleeping. After she was freed she went to church. Her association with the church and a Holy Club led her to discover that she had a talent for preaching. Quakers that she knew encouraged her to preach. Over time she traveled widely, preaching to crowds that were often unfriendly. Eventually she became interested in women's rights. She felt, based on her experiences with the wives of her masters, that their wives were almost like slaves. She spoke at conferences about women's rights and became involved with women such as Lucretia Mott. William Lloyd Garrison, the abolitionist, put up money for the publication of her life story, Narrative of Sojourner Truth: A Northern Slave. During her eighty-six years of life, she accomplished a great deal using her skills and talents a marvelous model for young people. The book is part of the "Childhood of Famous Americans" series. 2003, Aladdin Paperbacks, Toledo
User Reviews:
unknown | 3/19/2009 2:58 AM
i am really ecstatic abut this book it changed many lives like mine to fight for fredom
Alizay | 1/25/2009 10:36 AM

I have the same book!
nadijah pardue | 12/4/2008 9:40 AM
this is a great book. it's amazing how a woman can make a great change in her life  while going thru what she went thru.by reading this book it inspired me to be thankful for my life and not to commplain about having a trouble life. if i was going thru what she went thru i would have cracked
cesarina | 2/23/2007 2:48 AM
great book
alejandra diaz | 1/14/2006 1:05 AM
I read the exact book for my bookreport. "a famous black american" I really enjoyed it so much! I am looking forward to reading it again. After reding this book, it inspired me to fight for what is right. I LOVED it!
maddy gerth 2/11/05 5:10 pm | 2/10/2005 6:14 AM
I liked reading this book, my whole class read it.I learned alot of information out of this book!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews