Oskar Schindler

by Riley Woodruff from San Diego, California in United States

120935Oskar SchindlerGoogle Images

The idea of heroes have existed for centuries, represented in every culture you can think of. Superman, Hercules, Rosa Parks, and countless others. But what allows a hero to be defined as such? The world has continuously reinforced the idea in all of our minds from a young age that we can never be like the greats. They have superpowers, magical best friends, or a knack for making miracles happen. Regular people? We can’t be heroes…. Right? Proven by Oskar Schindler, this world wide belief is remarkably wrong. Oskar Schindler was a regular guy. But he saved more than 1,100 people from dying in a time when hate was easier to give than love. By writing names of his Jewish friends and worker on a list known famously as “Schindler's list”, and by refusing to give into the violence that smothered the world, he was able to prevent them from their untimely death at the Nazi concentration camps. Born in Hungary German on April 28, 1908, he was known for his excessive drinking, womanizing (despite being married), and constantly trying to find business opportunities to get rich. Oskar Schindler would have never been expected to be a hero. While political mayhem was beginning to arise in Germany, out of the interest of business Schindler joined the Nazi party. However no matter how his intentions started, over time it became clear his goal was to save as many lives as possible. Coming up with the famous Schindler’s list, he outsmarted his Nazi superiors multiple times, all the while appearing an innocent man. Through risking his own welfare and saving hundreds of lives, Oskar Schindler was a hero. And among other characteristics, all heroes need two main traits to be able to overcome the human instinct to put themselves first. Schindler possessed both; the qualities of being selfless and relentless.

Throughout his lifetime, Oskar Schindler constantly proved his selflessness. This is one way that heroes get that title in a world that allows hate to grow faster than love.  One example of his selflessness would be, “The German businessman essentially used most of his fortune — 4 million German marks — to save Jewish lives” (“Oskar Schindler: After the War”). This quote shows that, despite his greedy reputation, Schindler gave everything to save his workers. Putting aside the possibility for him to live in lavish, he spent all of his fortune because he knew the lives of his workers were more important than the comfort of his own. Another example is “Schindler succeeded in protecting his workers by keeping false records” (“Oskar Schindler. People of the Holocaust”). This quote demonstrates his selflessness because he risked putting himself in jail by keeping false records, but did it anyways. It is especially important because a major reason more people didn’t help Jewish people or stand up for them during the Holocaust was because they were scared of what would happen to them or how it would affect their lives. But Oskar proceeded without hesitation. As you can see, Schindler showed exceptional selflessness in a time where being selfish was the most convenient thing to do.

120936Schindler at an airportGoogle Images

Along with being selfless, Schindler possessed another quality which made him a hero: relentlessness. For instance, “When Schindler's two closest associates were placed aboard a train to be sent off to a concentration camp, he went to the station and demanded their return” (“Concentration camps were places where the Nazis confined people they regarded as enemies of the state."). Schindler said that they were engaged in work that was essential to the war effort. As a result, their lives were saved and they returned to work at the factory” (“‘Oskar Schindler.” People of the Holocaust’”). This confirms his relentlessness because when put in a situation of either letting go and giving up or fighting back, he fought. He had people in his life who were important to him that he would do anything to help, regardless of their religion. He never let that mindset change. Another instance showcasing this aspect is “One day, a train carrying only male workers arrived in town. Schindler discovered to his horror that the female workers and a number of children had been sent to Auschwitz. Schindler bribed officials with a bag of diamonds to have these people returned to him. He insisted that he needed the children because their small fingers were better at polishing the bomb parts that the new factory was to produce” (“Oskar Schindler’ People of the Holocaust”). This shows how he was relentless because the obstacles that seemed too risky for others were worth the risk to him. He continuously pushed against the newly arising standard of treating Jewish people poorly, and fought to keep them alive. This shows how he was a hero because through all the bad times, he remained determined to save lives.

120939Schindler in a meeting in IsrealGoogle Images

As you can see, not all heroes fit one mold. Oskar Schindler, despite having a reputation that undermined  him, was able to save more than 1,100 of his Jewish workers and friends. By being selfless and relentless, he deemed himself worthy of the title of hero. He is an inspiration because in a world that vibrated with voices of anger and terror, he didn’t let their words change his morals. He stayed true to his beliefs, and he knew who he was. No cape, no special powers, no tragic backstory or magical moment which changed his life forever. He was just a regular guy. But despite circumstances and a common lifelong belief that leads people to not take a stand, Oskar Schindler never let a mind set hold him back.  He proved to the world that ordinary people are capable of doing extraordinary things.

Righteous Among the Nations Award - This link talks about the Righteous Among the Nations Award, which Oskar Schindler was given before he passed from cardiovascular disease and liver failure, and how he was honored after death.
Schindler's List Movie Adaptation - Elaborates on the movie adaptation of Schindler's list, why Steven Spielberg chose to take on such a big project, and the importance he felt in Schindler's story as a Jewish man.