Mrs Gakou Salamata Fofana

by Maguette Fofana from Mali

Never ask what is the origin of a man; question is life instead and you will know what he is .

Although she has a large family from the Kayes area whose elders have not attended school, Ms.Gakou has had some brilliant studies. After completing a scientific baccalaureate, she entered the national school of engineers of Mali in the construction industry. Ms. Gakou is ONE of the FIRST THREE women graduates of this school (1981). After graduating, Ms. Gakou was hired in a state research office. She then held various positions before finally becoming technical advisor in charge of social housing. Beyond her commitment to work, Ms. Gakou also invested a lot in the associative field: she is at the origin of the creation of AFIMA (Association of Women Engineers of Mali), an association of which she is currently the president. If Ms. Gakou manages to lead a professional life, associative life, and family life (she has 4 children), she recognizes that it is an "obstacle course". 

118455One of the first three women engineers of MaliMs. Gakou Salamata FofanaDiscrimination against women is very prevalent in the world of work, and women are often disadvantaged because they are considered less available. For Ms. Gakou, this situation is particularly unfair: "I should not be punished because I gave life, we always talk about women's non-availability but they are prejudices. Women are there for reproduction, it does not have to be handicap because they contribute to the demography." The association thus helps the female engineers by helping them particularly to better reconcile professional life. We have to find a balance between the two.