Ruby Bridges

by Candice from Westminster

Ruby Bridges was an extraordinary little girl. Ruby was born on September 8, 1954. Ruby was the first African-American to attend an all white school. She had a wonderful teacher, that helped her through her first grade year in school.

First, the Federal Court said to desegregate the schools, being it was violating the 14th amendment. On November 14, 1960, Ruby went to William Frantz Elementary school in New Orleans, Louisiana. Ruby Bridges was the first African American to attend an all white school. Ruby was escorted by federal marshalls everyday while she walked into the school. She was the only student in her class, because everyone was protesting the changes outside of the school. School was easier then it could have been, with the support of her loving parents, and her three sisters, and one brother, also her teacher Mrs. Henry, and her phychiatrist Mr. Coles. She had a lot of support in her first grade year.

Second, Ruby had a wonderful teacher named Mrs. Henry. Mrs. Henry was a white teacher, but she was very kind and loving towards Ruby. Instead of sitting at the teachers desk, she sat next to Ruby. Every morning Mrs. Henry watched Ruby walk up to the school, and the mintue she came into the classroom, she gave Ruby a hug. Ruby wasn't allowed to go outside for recess, instead Mrs. Henry and her played games inside, and exercised during the play period. Ruby and Mrs. Henry were at school everyday that year. Ruby enjoyed being with Mrs. Henry, and they became like family.

Last, Ruby's second year in school, was different from the first year. Mrs. Henry wasn't invited back to teach at William Frantz. Everyone had basically "forgotten" the year before. More African American students attended William Frantz Elementary school that next year. There were no more federal marshalls walking students in and out of the school, it was just an inter-racial school, where everyone was welcome.

All in all, Ruby became devoted to teaching students, and she teaches at William Frantz. She raised her four boys, and her brothers four daughters. If her brother would not have passed away, she probably would not have gone back to William Frantz. Ruby's brother's childern went to William Frantz, and that was painful for Ruby to go back, but she did it, because she felt it was the Lord telling her to do so.

Ruby Bridges on PBS - a part of "African American World"

Dear Reader:

I wrote this story because I have a very strong opinion about racism. I am very against it, and I love to learn about the history and the past of these wonderful heroes. I have done several research projects on Martin Luther King Jr., and Rosa Parks, along with many other African Americans who fought to get rid of the racial issues, that people still deal with today.

Candice