The MY HERO Project | Library

Helen Keller, Rebellious Spirit: The Life and Times of Helen Keller

By Laurie Lawlor

Publisher: Holiday House, Inc., April 2001
ISBN: 0823415880
MY HERO recommends this book to children readers.
School Library Journal
Gr 5-7-Lawlor's finely crafted and lively biography makes fine use of primary-source material that brings Keller's interior thoughts to life and hints at her highly developed sense of humor. The author does not shy away from pointing out her subject's faults while lauding her many accomplishments. This well-researched account contains a fair amount of social history, placing Keller's life in the context of her time and providing readers with a greater basis to understand the development of her "radical" political beliefs and her "rebellious spirit." The excellent book design and attention to detail give children a visually aesthetic reading experience. Interesting, captioned, black-and-white photographs, many full page, are judiciously placed to break up the text throughout. The complete manual alphabet is reproduced inside the book and on the endpapers-a great touch since children will be interested in seeing one method in which Keller communicated. Each chapter begins with a full-page photograph and a quote from one of Keller's many books. Should libraries purchase this biography if they already own Joan Dash's The World at Her Fingertips (Scholastic, 2001)? The answer is a resounding "yes!"-Jennifer Ralston, Harford County Public Library, Belcamp, MD Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information.
User Reviews:
emily | 1/13/2011 3:21 AM
omg i love this book is amazingilove it
jaina | 1/28/2009 11:27 PM
wow she is amazing
yvette | 11/27/2006 7:08 AM
she was such a wonderfull person
katie | 11/2/2006 11:51 PM
I was wondering when Helen Keller died

Helen Keller died peacefully in her sleep on June 1, 1968.
--The MY HERO Library Staff

Alexandria | 1/27/2005 9:27 AM
This is a great book. I'm doing a book report on this book and i really love it already. Read on.
hannah dobson from georgia. | 1/26/2005 8:28 AM
Helen Keller is one of the few people I am
interested in. She is the most remarkable woman I have ever heard of.
Kaitlin | 11/30/2004 7:04 AM
Helen Keller is an extraordinary woman with great courage!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews