Photo Essay of Boston Marathon aftermath - Christian Science Monitor

by Christian Science Monitor

Members of the Boston Fire Department stand outside their firehouse as Bostonians observe a moment of silence on April 22. Melanie Stetson Freeman/Staff

A makeshift memorial on Boylston Street in Boston, at a roadblock near the site of the Boston Marathon bombings, was still expanding as of April 17, 2013, two days after the incident. People were leaving flowers and signs and lighting candles. Melanie Stetson Freeman/Staff

Runners observe a moment of silence before the start of the London Marathon in Greenwich, southeast London, April 21. Undaunted by the Boston Marathon bombings, big crowds lined the route of the London Marathon to cheer on some 36,000 runners who paid their respects to the Boston victims by wearing black ribbons. Luke MacGregor/Reuters

Boston area resident Mike Vitale prays beside flowers and remembrances for victims of the Boston Marathon bombing at a roadblock on Boylston Street, April 16, 2013, one day after two bombs exploded near the marathon's finish line. Three people were killed and more than 150 were injured. Photo by Melanie Stetson Freeman/Staff

People sign a banner that says, 'Boston, you're our home,' during an impromptu vigil April 16, on Boston Common for victims of the marathon bombing. Hundreds came to the vigil. Melanie Stetson Freeman/Staff

MORE RELATED IMAGES

CAPTION
Boston police officers remove a roadblock and bring flowers from another location to a new roadblock on Boylston Street, closer to the site of the Boston Marathon bombings, on April 17, 2013. Melanie Stetson Freeman/Staff

CAPTION
Boston Marathon qualifying runner Bobbi Snodgrass, of Iowa, leaves the Arlington Street Unitarian Universalist Church in Boston on her way to the Boston Public Garden during a candlelight vigil on April 16, 2013. Ms. Snodgrass passed the finish line, missing the first explosion by three seconds. Ann Hermes/Staff

April 2013
Christian Science Monitor