Press_Release

“The Mosque Across The Street” Wins My Hero's Relationships First Award

Photo courtesy of Starbucks Original Series - Upstanders: The Mosque Across the Street
CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
[email protected]
949-376-5964

“THE MOSQUE ACROSS THE STREET” WINS MY HERO'S RELATIONSHIPS FIRST AWARD 

SANTA MONICA, CA - 11/23/2016 – “UPSTANDERS:  THE MOSQUE ACROSS THE STREET,” produced by Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran for the Starbucks Upstanders series, is winner of the Relationships First Award. The award is presented by the Foundation for the Contemporary Family at The MY HERO International Film Festival

The award comes with a $1,000 cash prize to the film that conveys, in an innovative way, the powerful, poignant relationships present in today’s family situations. “UPSTANDERS:  THE MOSQUE ACROSS THE STREET,” follows the reaction of a small community in the Bible belt, as a mosque is built across the street from a local church. 

“It’s such a timely film," said Judy Anderson, founder of The Foundation for the Contemporary Family. “It gave a wonderful portrayal of a small town struggling with the ambivalence and ultimate acceptance of their new Muslim neighbors. Led by the example of the pastor to reach out, the initially intolerant parishioners evolve beyond simple tolerance to forming close relationships in the process.” 

Anderson, a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the University of California, Irvine College of Medicine, created the Foundation for the Contemporary Family in 2000. Her goal was to develop and support advances in clinical training and research for couples and family therapy. She established The Relationships First Award to encourage filmmaking that explores healthy relationships.  

Anderson presented the award at the MY HERO International Film Festival Awards Ceremony Saturday, November 19th, in Santa Monica.

Watch THE MOSQUE ACROSS THE STREET,” and other winning films online at myhero.com/winners

Submissions are being accepted for the 2017 MY HERO International Film Festival. For more information, email [email protected] or visit www.myhero.com/filmfestival