SA STUDENTS WIN TOP THREE PRIZES AT
INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

by Department of Education and Children's Services

Media Release

South Australian school students have put local film making on the global stage, taking out first, second and third place in the primary years category of an international film festival.

Bordertown Primary School's film, Feather Flowers, was judged the best entry from around the world in the elementary school category of the MY HERO Short Film Festival held in Los Angeles this month.

Hackham East Primary School was awarded second place and West Beach Primary School took out third place in the same category. Enfield High School also won joint third place in the high school section.

As part of the competition, students were required to research and produce a film about their hero. The MY HERO film festival aims to promote literacy and communication.

Three Bordertown Primary School Year 3 students produced the winning film, Feather Flowers, about a local Aboriginal grandmother's quest to preserve her family's freedom and culture.

One of the students, nine-year-old Emma Hunt, her mother and her teacher flew to Los Angeles to attend the screening of their film at the festival on 15 December.

Bordertown Primary School principal Christine Sheldon says the competition showcased the talent of local students and is a credit to the quality of teachers and staff in South Australia.

"Entering the competition has provided the Bordertown school community with the opportunity to demonstrate how proud we are of our local culture and history and our achievements as a rural school," Ms Sheldon says. "I am very proud that students from our small rural school won first prize in the competition."

"It has helped build students' skills in a range of areas including using digital media technologies, ICT and multimedia."

The four schools were nominated for the MY HERO competition by DECS following their success in a South Australian film and animation competition, Local Yarns.

Media contact: DECS media liaison officer Sarah Rohde, Ph: 8226 7904 or 0434 070 784.
For electronic versions of media releases, visit www.decs.sa.gov.au/mediacentre

Read the press release as a PDF copy - and see all the winners from the South Australian schools
Feather Flowers - Watch the short film from Meg and Lacey

Friday, December 21st, 2007
Department of Education and Children's Services
Government of South Australia