My Grandma

by Valeria from Mexico

Don't regret.
My Grandma (home camera)
My Grandma (home camera)

For me, being a hero doesn’t necessarily mean wearing a costume and having super powers. A hero is a special person who always puts the most important people in their lives before themselves. They care about their well-being and try to protect them in their own heroic way.

I chose my grandma, Mica, among all my heroes because she is the kind of person who makes me feel better when I get in trouble or when I get sick. She’s there whenever I need a hug or chicken soup, and she tries her best to make me feel safe and happy. She lives in front of my house (she lives there alone by her own desire) so I can often go, together with my brother, to visit her. She really likes it and she gets real cheerful when we pay her a visit.

My grandma has had a very difficult life and has left behind lots of things she held dear just to take her children forward. She suffered several times for personal matters which she had to overcome herself to live “peacefully.” Fourteen years ago, around 1993, her husband, my grandpa, whom I didn’t get to meet because I was just 1 year old, died from respiration complications. Since then, my grandma has had to make a strong heart to continue on with her current life. This fact surprises me the most because it takes lots of courage to forget the past and continue with life.

I learned through her experiences that sometimes it is better to continue on forward instead of trying to repair the past, which is impossible to change. Also, I learned that nobody is born with bad luck, it is just something inevitable that can be changed through hard work and courage. That is why I chose her, my grandma, to be my hero.