The MY HERO Project | Library

Coming to Grips with Malaria in the New Millennium (UN Millennium Project Series)

By Awash Teklehaimanot, Andrew Spielman, Burt Singer, Burt TozanSinger, Yesim Tozan

Publisher: Earthscan/James & James, March 2005
ISBN: 1844072266
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
* One of 14 publications comprising the official UN strategy on how to reduce extreme poverty and achieve the fundamental worldwide human development goals for the coming decade
* Project directed by Jeffrey D. Sachs, named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time Magazine, current Director of The Earth Institute, Columbia University, and Special Adviser to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan
* The essential reference work for all governments, policymakers, aid and donor agencies, development practitioners, researchers, and students worldwide

"Coming to Grips with Malaria in the New Millennium" presents an innovative strategic framework for relieving the burden that malaria imposes on society through the implementation of tried and tested anti-malarial interventions designed to improve health nationally and to promote economic development locally. Recommendations include early diagnosis, treatment with effective anti-malarial medicines, the use of insecticide treated nets, indoor residual spraying, managing the environment, improving housing, extending health education, and improving monitoring and evaluation systems.

The UN Millennium Development Library Coming to Grips with Malaria in the New Millennium, in conjunction with the flagship publication Investing in Development, is one of 13 thematic publications that comprise the UN Millennium Library. This set of reference handbooks charts world progress and presents strategies for dramatically reducing extreme poverty in its many dimensions--income poverty, hunger, disease, exclusion, lack of infrastructure, and shelter--by 2015, while promoting gender equality, education, health, andenvironmental sustainability. This Library is the official, comprehensive point of reference and action plan for achieving the fundamental development objectives embodied in the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) adopted by the UN and world leaders in 2000.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews