Philosophers

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

by Brandon from Lynchburg

Tenzin Gyatso is my hero because he preaches compassion and empathy without imposing religion on others.

He was recognized as the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai lama at age 2. The Dalai Lamas are said to be recreations of Chenrezig, the Bodhisattva of Compassion. A bodhisattva is one who has put his or her own nirvana on hold and chosen to be reincarnated in order to help guide others toward nirvana.

He narrowly escaped imprisonment by Communist leader Mao Zadong who aimed to control Tibet in 1955. He has spent the last 57 years in exile in India working to promote peace and compassion.

I do my best to follow his example. Treating others with understanding and compassion has become an important part of my life since I began to study the Dalai Lama. I wish I was better at it than I am. It is a continual process that requires conscious effort.

I first became aware of the Dalai Lama and his teachings four years ago when I read his essay "The Ethics of Compassion."

Gyatso, Tenzin. "His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet." [Online] Available http://www.dalailama.com/.

"Humble sentient beings, tormented by sufferings without cease, completely suppressed by seemingly endless and terribly intense, negative deeds. May all their fears from unbearable war, famine, and disease be pacified..." - His Holiness Tenzin Gyatso The Fourteenth Dalai Lama of Tibet