Poets

Charles Bukowski

by Chris from Lynchburg

"Find what you love and let it kill you."

Charles Bukowski was born on August 16, 1920, in Andernach, Germany. In America, Bukowski worked odd jobs to support himself while writing. He published his first story at 24, and started writing poetry when he was 35. In 1959, he published his first poetry book. Bukowski went on to write more than 45 books-including poetry, short stories and novels. He died March 9, 1994, in San Pedro, California. (Biography)

Charles Bukowski grew into a tough life. He lived with an abusive father. He suffered from extreme acne and dyslexia. But instead of suffering completely, he turned his pain into art. He was praised at his school for his artwork and later went on the one of the greatest poets from the transgressive era.

"My dear, Find what you love and let it kill you. Let it drain you of your all. Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness. Let it kill you and let it devour your remains. For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it's much better to be killed by a lover. ~ Falsely yours"

Biography of Charles Bukowski - Biography
Youtube: Charles Bukowski - Bukowski's ideas on individuality as a writer and person
List of Manuscripts - Bukowski's Manuscripts