Corazon B. Aquino

by Marion from San Diego

As I came to power peacefully, so shall I keep it.
 (justjukie.i.ph/.../cory-aquino-headshot.jpg)

Within governments there seems to be trends of bribery, fraud, and indulgence in unsavory activities. With all this activity, how many rulers and people of power do we truly recognize as genuine, compassionate people who have the idealistic traits we have for great leaders? There are always those honored few, challenging the cycle of those who spoil their political power for personal gain. Corazon Aquino is among those honored, renowned for her moral integrity, unyielding courage, and pure intentions to free the Philippines away from the bondage of tyrannical rule and towards democracy. Her actions make her deserving of the title “Hero”.

Aquino's Portrait (www.chrispforr.net/.../images/aquino.jpg)

Born in January 25, 1933 in the Philippine province of Tarlac, Aquino was born into the Cojoangco family, a wealthy and politically affluent family. She was enrolled in an exclusive Catholic school before traveling to America and attending Raven Hill Academy in Philadelphia. She later met Benigno Aquino, marrying in 1954. One year later, her husband was elected mayor and moved up in the political ladder, being “considered one of the Philippines' brightest political hopes.”(Adams) He became an “outspoken critic of the regime of President Ferdinand Marcos” (Adams). On September 21, 1972, Marcos established martial law, and in effect Mr. Aquino was imprisoned but still ran for a seat in Parliament, Mrs. Aquino playing a major role in his campaign. In 1980, Mr. Aquino went to Chicago for heart surgery along with Mrs. Aquino and their children. Soon after, he was urged to come back to the Philippines to help rally their cause and upon landing in the Philippines, he was assassinated. From then on, Corazon Aquino followed her husband’s footsteps and became involved in politics and managed to change the government and limited its power. In August 1, 2009, Aquino died due to colon cancer complications.

(1.bp.blogspot.com/_EnpquhPP5Hw/SoOQwdCm0vI/AA...)

Aquino’s reach for a reformed government was not easily accomplished and her heroism was not noted without a certain quality. Despite the seemingly insurmountable objective, Aquino had a courageous attitude, stepping out of the quiet background and into politics being a “politically inexperienced homemaker and mother of four daughters and one son, [who] took the reins of the most volatile nations.” (WIC). It would seem that taking on a huge amount of responsibility when coming from nowhere is a crippling burden and with no knowledge and experience one is surely expected to fail and fall under such weight. But, Corazon Aquino’s decision to do so is very admirable. She responded to “taking the reins” with “…enthusiasm and a singular commitment to the cause of justice.” (Adams). She accepted full responsibility for her new title, but could do so because she didn’t falter and “…she showed a quiet courage that moved millions.”(Coronel) If one would take such responsibilities without the want or the need or the headstrong attitude to complete a goal, that individual would be more susceptible to discouragement, the inclination to quit, and would be easily manipulated. Without courage, one would lose an important aspect of a hero.

Along with her courage, Corazon Aquino had one trait that granted her the hearts and minds of most of the Philippine population- her moral integrity. Aquino was renowned for such qualities; many saw her as a “…fresh new face with a reputation for moral integrity.” (Adams). Many would consider heroes to have a strong moral foundation. Without one, who would you have left? This aspect of her personality gives many the impression of a responsible, strong willed individual and if compared to a hero, would potentially match. She gained many supporters because they knew “Her main assets in the campaign were her reputation for moral integrity…” (Adams). Why do we follow such people? Because we know that such a potential leader would have the best interests and would not resort to immoral activities that would ruin the foundation of happiness. If we apply the same concept to a heroic figure, the idea stays true.

One final part of Corazon Aquino’s personality helped her gain the title and prestige of “Hero”: Her ability to make pure, conscious, moral decisions with the intention to better the government. After wining presidency and removing Marcos from his position, she worked on rebuilding over the remnants of Marcos’s wake. She caused “The release of 441 political prisoners and the forced retirement of 22 pro-Marcos generals…” (Adams). Along with that, to improve the government she “...reinstated the writ of habeas corpus…abolished the government’s ability to imprison people at will…promised to promote the right to assemble peaceably and free speech along with prosecuting corruption and abusers of human rights.” Aquino knew what decisions to make once she had won presidency. She made immediate actions that benefited the public and had not indulged in debauchery to accomplish any personal agenda. When one thinks of a hero in this respect, they tend to say this is a big aspect of a one. But more importantly, without this we would have people who make decision based on what’s best for them and not caring of the consequences that affect others. But despite temptations, Aquino still held on to those values, adding more depth to the character of a hero.

Corazon Aquino, former president of the Philippines, used her courage, moral strength and ability to make the right decisions to win her presidency. But more importantly, those won her presidency because those traits are consistent of a hero. Heroes in the world earn the love and admiration because of those traits. People want someone who knows and wants what’s best for the people and wishes to remove the evil where it can be removed. Aquino had brought the corrupted political landscape into a renewed state, with a horizon of hope for a better future to bring happiness to her people. With all her accomplishments and ideals she is associated with, Mrs. Corazon Aquino deserves the eternal title Hero.

The New York Times - Refers to the news on Corazon Aquino's death.