Press_Release

My Hero Art Project Recreates Kelp Forest Life At Laguna Art Museum’s Art & Nature Family Festival

Young artists busy at work at the MY HERO art booth at Laguna Art Museum (The MY HERO Project)

Contact: Jeanne Meyers FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[email protected]
949.376.5964

MY HERO ART PROJECT RECREATES KELP FOREST LIFE AT LAGUNA ART MUSEUM'S ART & NATURE FAMILY FESTIVAL

The MY HERO Project partnered with the Laguna Art Museum and the Laguna Beach Community Foundation at the Second Annual Art & Nature Festival held Sunday, November 9, 2014 in the museum. Media Arts Educators from MY HERO, an online educational web journal, provided over 300 participating children and their family members the opportunity to learn about who lives in the kelp forests along our coastline.

Children were presented with sheets representing the animals that reside in the Pacific Coast kelp beds and assorted art materials including construction paper, pipe cleaners, crayons, popsicle sticks and stick-on decorations to recreate a mini kelp forest and its life cycle.

The inspiration for this art project was the MY HERO produced video, "The Kelp Lady," and it was available to be viewed at the Art & Nature Festival. This short film describes the activities of Nancy Caruso and the Get Inspired! organization. Nancy has spearheaded the replanting of the kelp beds and has continued to educate the public about the life cycle of our coastal kelp forests.

"The children really got involved in our project and they spent a lot of time imagining their artful kelp bed recreations! Their parents and grandparents also got a chance to sit down, make art and learn from the materials at the MY HERO tables," explained Victoria Murphy, Arts Education Director of the MY HERO Project. "We had a lot of fun and the finished artworks were original and vibrant! We are very grateful to the Laguna Art Museum for giving the community this terrific opportunity!"

MY HERO is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes around the world. For more information on The MY HERO Project, please visit our website at www.myhero.com

The Kelp Lady - by Anabelle Vo from The MY HERO Project

MORE RELATED IMAGES

CAPTION
A creative senior citizen enthusiastically admires her art (The MY HERO Project)

CAPTION
Young artists busy at work at the MY HERO art booth (The MY HERO Project)

CAPTION
Student participant displays her creative kelp bed representation (The MY HERO Project)