Philosophers

Aristotle

by Justin from San Diego

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" (Albert Einstein). This quote from Albert Einstein accurately describes Aristotle. A Greek philosopher, Aristotle was well known for providing the basis for today's fields of science. By studying and separating the major areas of study during his time: physics, metaphysics, rhetoric, poetics, and logic, he established an organization of academics that steered the direction of Science for years to come. Although many people during his time period rejected Aristotle because of his nationality, he continued to teach philosophy throughout Greece. Aristotle believed that people necessitate for education and knowledge. With his knowledge, righteousness, and dedication, and other heroic traits, Aristotle was able to revolutionize the world in science and philosophy and shaped medieval Europe.

Aristotle has proven his heroism by demonstrating his nobility, when teaching his philosophical and good morals. He worked continuously to teach the world how to properly govern itself: "Aristotle argues that monarchy or absolute rule by a single person isn't an ideal form of government" (Scientists: Their Lives and Works, 2006). Aristotle tried to teach future rulers how to rule fairly and effectively. He tried to change the Macedonian Empire from a monarchy to a democracy. Aristotle's teachings helped determine how future nations would govern themselves. His work also helped direct how other nations would act politically towards each other: "He also expresses his disapproval of imperialism, a nation's policy of expanding and winning new territory" (Scientists: Their Lives and Works, 2006). Aristotle tried to warn nations against gaining new land from others. His teachings warned of the consequences acquiring land would have. Aristotle's noble teachings help uncover his heroic personality.

Aristotle's heroism is uncovered when looking at the influence he had over others and how he tried to teach them good moral lessons. Aristotle was well known throughout Greece for his teachings: "Phillip asked him to return to Macedonia to oversee his son Alexander's education" (Scientists: Their Lives and Works, 2006). The quote shows how even the King of the Macedonian empire respected Aristotle and asked him mentor the future Alexander the Great. Aristotle tried to teach Alexander against imperialism and monarchy, and inspired him in the area of science. His teachings were used and spread across the world: "Today, philosophers of various stripes continue to look to Aristotle for guidance and inspiration in many different areas, ranging from the philosophy of mind to theories of the infinite, though perhaps Aristotle's influence is seen most overtly and avowedly in the resurgence of virtue ethics which began in the last half of the twentieth century. It seems safe at this stage to predict that Aristotle's stature is unlikely to diminish in the new millennium" (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy). This quote displays Aristotle's influence for generations to come. Aristotle helped shape the world's ethics, morals, and knowledge. Aristotle's commitment to building a better mankind was important but his influence on the rest of world proved he has heroic characteristics.

Aristotle can be proven as having heroic traits when studying the power he shared with world leaders as he tried to encourage democracy. "Phillip asked him to return to Macedonia to oversee his son Alexander's education" (Scientists: Their Lives and Works, 2006). Aristotle had great power over future world leaders and tried to encourage them to rule fairly and justly. He had a great influence over one of the world's most powerful king, as he tried to teach them to rule responsibly. Aristotle tried to help high ranking officials in government allow their citizens to have more power: "Philip II, became king of Macedonia in 359 B.C. Philip and Aristotle were about the same age and had probably known each other as children. A powerful leader, Philip quickly began a period of Macedonian expansion. Aside from improving the Macedonian army and capturing nearby Greek cities, he also attempted to increase the Greek influence on Macedonian culture" (Scientists: Their Lives and Works, 2006). Aristotle had a high position in the King's life, and he could have accepted the King's policy of expansion. However, Aristotle chooses not to accept the King's policy even though they have been friends for years. Aristotle decides to teach what he believes is right against the King. Aristotle's power with world leaders helps verify that he has a heroic trait.

Aristotle has proven he has heroic traits: nobility, influence, and power, but what makes him a true hero is how he uses these traits together. He proves himself a hero by expressing nobility in a high position against government, and by influencing people around the world to live with good ethics and morals for centuries to come. Aristotle had a strong belief: "All As are Bs. All Bs are Cs. Hence, all As are Cs." This quote uncovers how Aristotle believed humanity should not be satisfied with what they know, and that humanity should try to solve what they do not understand. Aristotle was inspirational by teaching what he believed to be right, against what was acceptable during his time. He was also inspirational for his impact on future generations. He always was in my opinion, a role model where people could learn how to successfully live. Even though Aristotle will never truly be known by most people, he is a hero to those who take time to understand how to live affectionately.