Aaliyah Dana Haughton

by Rashawn from Nebraska

<a href=http://www.nndb.com/people/742/000024670/aaliyah-65.jpg>Aaliyah</a>
Aaliyah

A hero is a person that someone looks up to or admires. My hero’s name is Aaliyah D. Haughton. She is my hero because she was a person that I admire and look up to. Also, she reminds me of my mom because they look alike and they both always tell me to follow my dream.

Aaliyah was born January 16, 1979 in Brooklyn, New York. Aaliyah was raised in Detroit by Micheal Haughton(dad) and Diane Haughton (mom) along with her brother Rashad . Aaliyah started singing at ten when she appeared on the t.v. show Star Search. Aaliyah was at a singing contest and she sung well, but she didn’t win.

Aaliyah’s first album Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number came out in 1996, when she was 15. She guest starred in Romeo Must Die, in 2000. Aaliyah made her next and last album Aaliyah in the year 2001. She was filming her best known song Rock the Boat in the Bahamas.

On August 25, 2001 Aaliyah and her record company boarded a plane to return home. About 200 ft after take off the plane had crashed. Aaliyah and her 8 other members all died at the crash. The pilot Luis Morales 3rd was not a qualified pilot and was attempting to fly the plane which caused their deaths. The plane was also over its weight limit. The people hadn’t been weighed like they should have and they weren’t informed that they all had too much luggage.

Aaliyah’s funeral was held six days later. The funeral was an exciting one, although many people weren’t excited at all. Aaliyah was and still is the princess of hip-hop and pop and she will always be remembered to me as my hero.