Abdallah Wazwaz

by Zainab from Alquds

My hero is my grandfather, Abdallah Wazwaz. He lived a hard life. He was born in Hebron. He went to the United States in 1968 and worked as a salesman selling watches, rings and tapestries. He travelled all over the United States, earned money and took his family to America. He had eight girls and four boys.

At the age of 45, Abdallah got the disease Diabetes. From 1998 to 2003, he had three strokes. The first stroke affected his walking and speech, the second stroke affected his memory and speech. He was paralyzed from the waist and down, and worst of all he went blind. At the end of his third stroke he needed a feeding tube. He stopped talking and eating. He was always afraid, but fortunately we were always there for him.

Abdallah was 66 years old when he died. He died on the thirtieth of May, 2003. He was a proud, religious, soft-hearted man. He was always thanking god for all the things he went through. A lot of us can learn from his experience if anything happens to us. Allah is willing for this to happen so he can test our faith and patience. Never complain, "Why me?"

Thank you for reading my feelings on who and why Abdallah Wazwaz is my hero.