Alan Shepard

by Evan from Cincinnati

They say any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
<a href=http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/she0bio-1>Alan Shepard</a>, astronaut
Alan Shepard, astronaut

THE HERO I CHOSE IS ALAN SHEPARD
HE WAS BORN ON NOVEMBER 18, 1923 AND DIED ON JULY 21 1998.
Alan Shepard was the first American in space. He lived in East Derry New Hampshire.
I chose Alan Shepard as my hero because he helped out for project Mercury with John Glenn, Leroy Copper, and Donald Slayton.

Alan Shepard lived on a farm for his childhood. He went to school at East Derry one room schoolhouse. Alan went to the air field to learn about airplanes. Alan was an excellent student and won an appointment to the U.S. Naval command at Annapolis.

Once he graduated, Shepard served on a destroyer during the end of World War 2. He then married Louise Brewer, whom he had met while attending the Naval Academy.

Alan was to eager to receive his wings and pilot’s license that he studied civilian flying school. Alan attended the naval flight training at Texas and Pensacola, Florida. After receiving his wings he served the 42nd Fighter Squadron for several hours of duty aboard aircraft carriers in Mediterranean.

By 1968, an operation had restored Alan’s equilibrium and he volunteered for a lunar mission, but Alan remained on the ground watching younger astronauts blasting off into space. In 1971, Alan Shepard the oldest astronaut in the program, finally was able to lead the Apollo XIV to the moon.

<a href=http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/photocredit/achievers/she0-062>Alan Shepard</a>
Alan Shepard

Alan Shepard was a hero because he was the first American on the moon. He had many obstacles, and his biggest obstacle was probably traveling so fast that he broke the sound barrier.

Mr. Shepherd is eager, outgoing, brave, courageous, and determined.

Alan Shepard - NASA biography
Alan Shepard - Academy of Achievement