Angels

Alexandra Scott

by Michael from Reynoldsburg

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn". Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Born in Manchester Connecticut in January 18, 1996, Alexandra Scott was just a baby when her parents discovered a tumor erupting around her spine. Fortunately for her, doctors found out quickly and got rid of it. A few days before her first birthday, Alexandra Scott was this time diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a pediatric cancer and the most common extra-cranial cancer in children. Doctors informed Alex's parents that if she beat her cancer, it was doubtful that she would ever walk again. In order to receive a more advanced treatment, she was made to move with her family to Wynne-wood, Pennsylvania to be closer to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. In July 2000, she decided to open a lemonade stand despite her failing health condition to help other children with cancer and possibly make donations to find  the cure for pediatric cancer.

While bravely battling her own cancer, she gathered confidence to reach out to other children in distress. Alexandra Scott managed to attract media attention. She was invited to the Oprah Winfrey's show where she managed to also raise funds for her foundation. People all over the world now speak of her as a brave hero.

When Alex passed away in August of 2004, at the age of 8, she knew that, with the help of others, she had raised over $1 million for pediatric cancer research. Liz and Jay, along with their three sons, Patrick, Eddie and Joey, continue their promise to Alex and all children with cancer, the promise of hope for a cure. Since 2004, because of Alex's giving nature, adults and children have joined in the fight for a cure hosting over 8,000 Alex's Lemonade Stands across the country. These stands represent diverse groups of devoted volunteers from large and small businesses, inner city school children, senior centers, pre-school aged children, a juvenile detention center, college students, and a group of homeless people.

Alexandra Scott began something that would be continued by generations. Her bravery and courage would be cherished at all times. Due to her foundation, she raised $2,000 for her hospital, a remarkable achievement and enough to find the cure for pediatric cancer. Alexandra Scott's legacy would always be honoured.