Albert Schweitzer

by Matt from San Diego

As Felix Adler puts it, "The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by."  Adler's quote expresses the idea of heroes being role models.  Albert Schweitzer exemplifies this.  Albert Schweitzer was born on January 17, 1875 into an Alsatian family.  He was a intelligent man due to his early childhood, where he focused on religion, music and education .  Also at an early age he devoted his life to serve the ever growing mass of humanity.  From this point on he focused on helping others through ministry, but he found the best way to serve was to create a hospital in Africa.  Through this he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1953 and became one of the most influential people of his time.  His actions showed the world that if you follow your dreams then you can achieve great things.  Albert Schweitzer's heroic efforts through his scholarly works led him to become an ambitious ambassador and a visionary in helping others.  

Albert Schweitzer's scholarly talents provided influential insight to help others.  Through his work he proposed enlightening ideas about religion and world peace.  These ideas later developed a model for world civilization.  He became an accomplished scholar and, "By 24, Schweitzer was a licensed curate and held a doctorate in philosophy. He worked as a theologian at the University of Strasbourg, publishing a series of influential books on the Gospels" ("Albert Schweitzer Biography.").  He developed into an influential gospel teacher through his teachings.  He showed through books and teaching he could spread his ideas on theology and have a positive influence on other people.  Schweitzer was an intelligent man and, "From his professional engagements he earned funds for his education, particularly his later medical schooling, and for his African hospital. Musicologist as well as performer, Schweitzer wrote a biography of Bach in 1905 in French, published a book on organ building and playing in 1906, and rewrote the Bach book in German in 1908" ("Biography.").  Through his successes Schweitzer obtained a Medical degree and built a hospital to help the people in Africa.  His scholarly work led him to teach others about new talents and people.  Albert Schweitzer's aspirations for world peace helped change lives.  

Schweitzer's ambitions aided him to achieve great things.  He influenced the world with his adventurous attitude by stepping away from his true dream to help others.  His passion for aiding others helped him decide, "to go to Africa as a medical missionary rather than as a pastor, Schweitzer in 1905 began the study of medicine at the University of Strasbourg. In 1913, having obtained his M.D. degree, he founded his hospital at Lambarene in French Equatorial Africa" ("Biography.").  Schweitzer sacrificed his ultimate dream of becoming a pastor to be a doctor in Africa.  His ambitious actions proved little sacrifices are needed to help others These "little" sacrifices helped shape him into a selfless charismatic man who led others to follow in his footsteps.  His adventures to Africa, "made a world citizen out of Schweitzer and that led to his winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 1952.  After having shown his ability to excel in philosophy, theology, and music, Schweitzer felt a call to become a physician so that he could address human suffering" (Marty).  His realization for human suffering made his actions known to the world.  After building a medical facility for the sick, he showed compassion and kindness towards the people of Africa.  In that time the fact of helping a different race was unheard of.  He clarified it does not matter what race a human is.  We all need to be treated equally and set our differences aside. Although dreams are admirable there will always be a sacrifice that needs to be made.  Through dedication these dreams can be accomplished.  

Dedication proved to be one of Schweitzer's greatest traits.  Although he was set back, he still followed through with his dreams and save thousands of lives.  At his hospital he, "was doctor and surgeon..., pastor of a congregation, administrator of a village, superintendent of buildings and grounds, writer of scholarly books, commentator on contemporary history, musician, host to countless visitors" ("Biography.").  Life in Africa kept Schweitzer occupied in serving the people there. His dedication to his work showed that following you dreams is not effortless.  Through this he promoted strength and heroism, setting the standard for future inspirational heroes.  Presented with the problem of time he made, "his mark through a multivolume Kulturphilosophie (1923), which was translated as Philosophy of Civilization. He worked on its third volume for many years between surgical operations in Africa. Its first volume, with its survey of history, has had little impact and would be little read were it not for curiosity about the author" (Marty).  Along with Schweitzer's work at the hospital he also had the time to write a multivolume novel to inspire others.  Although his books were not read by many people he still finished his multivolume in the hope of inspiring someone to make a difference.  His service to others showed his dedication to improve humanity and despite his occupations Schweitzer pushed through to change people's lives.  His perseverance through his goals led him to become an influential hero to the world.  

Albert Schweitzer's efforts to help the people of Africa saved thousands of lives and influenced people to become role models in their communities.  With a couple of setbacks he pushed through with determination to accomplish his goals.  Through scholarly etiquette, ambitious actions, and strong dedication, Schweitzer inspired the world to follow in his footsteps.  He showed sacrifices are necessary to make dreams come true and through your dreams, you can change the world.  His ultimate sacrifice of perusing a different people-oriented dream helped pronounce his claim to save the great mass of humanity.  He utilized his talents to aid him in his adventure of the human cause, leading him to world recognition; "The honors he received were numerous, including the Goethe Prize of Frankfurt and honorary doctorates from many universities emphasizing one or another of his achievements. The Nobel Peace Prize for 1952, having been withheld in that year, was given to him on December 10, 1953" ("Biography.").  Albert Schweitzer's actions proved to inspire the world.  From this he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and world recognition.  He proved if you follow your dreams you can do great things.  His compassion and love for helping people led him to be one of the greatest heroes of all time.  

"Albert Schweitzer Biography." Albert Schweitzer. History, n.d. Web. 07 May 2013. .

"Albert Schweitzer." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography In Context. Web. 1 May 2013.

Aufdemberge, Theodore P., and Aufdemberge Theodore P. "Albert Schweitzer." Great Lives From History: The Twentieth Century (2008): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 2 May 2013.

Haberman, Frederick W. "Biography." Albert Schweitzer -. The Nobel Foundation, 1952. Web. 09 May 2013. .

Marty, Martin E. "Schweitzer, Albert." Encyclopedia of Religion. Ed. Lindsay Jones. 2nd Ed. Vol. 12. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2005. 8178-8180. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 8 May 2013.

"Schweitzer, Albert." Britannica Biographies (2012): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 2 May 2013. 

Albert Schweitzer - His Life
The Albert Schweitzer Page - Everything Albert Schweitzer
The Albert Schweitzer Fellowship - Schweitzer's Hospital

You can find his teachings in many of his books; Out of My Life and Thought, Memoirs of Childhood and Youth, African Notebook, The Philosophy of Civilization and many more.