Abraham Lincoln

by Alyssa from Selden

A hero is a person with unique qualities. I found that Abraham Lincoln showed unique qualities. Abraham made a large impact in the society in his life; he showed the value of leadership, courage, and power. In his time in the political office he ended slavery, put us back together in a union, and also lead the country into reconstruction. Abraham Lincoln was an amazing leader, and we should all try to follow in his footsteps.

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville, Kentucky. He was the first president to be born outside of the thirteen colonies, but in 1816 his family was forced to leave and move to Indiana, partly on the account of slavery. Lincoln’s whole family was against slavery, mostly because the church he attended didn't believe in slavery. For his political career, which started at the age of twenty-three he had always been poor anti-slavery. The whole Lincoln family didn't believe in slavery.

Abraham Lincoln was our president during the civil war. Lincoln was known for leading us in the worst crisis in history. The civil war was when the country was fighting over slavery. Most of the southern states were proslavery, and the northern states were anti slavery. Abraham Lincoln was doing everything in his power to end slavery and to keep us as a union. He believed that it didn't matter what color you are, we are all people and shall all be treated the same. I think that someone who believes in that should get a great deal of respect.

Abraham Lincoln was our president during the civil war. He was known for leading us in the worst crisis in history. The civil war was when the country was fighting over slavery. Most of the southern states were proslavery, and the northern states were anti slavery. Abraham Lincoln was doing everything in his power to end slavery and to keep us as a union. He believed that it didn't matter what color you are, we are all people and shall all be treated the same. I think that someone who belives in that should get a great deal of respect.

Abraham Lincoln was the first Republican president in the United States. Before becoming president, he was a lawyer, and then an Illinois state legislator, a member of the United States House of Representatives, and then unsuccessfully ran for a candidate of the Senate. In 1860 he was elected president of the United States he was the American president until the year of 1865. Abraham Lincoln is known to be one of the greatest presidents of all time.

On the day of April 14 1865, the assassination of one of the best American leaders took place. He was killed by John Wilkes booth at a play that was called Our American Cousin. He died at about 10:15 at night. His death was a shock and disappointment to most American families. If Lincoln was not killed that day, there would have most likely been a lot more influence outcomes of his leadership. Lincoln's death was a sad time.

Lincoln changed America. He did many amazing and brave things in his lifetime. He ended slavery, which if he didn't we might still have it today. Lincoln helped us through hard times such as secession and got us to all come together and stay as a union. Lincoln was a great leader and influenced the country in various ways. I feel that Lincoln has qualities that a hero should have.