Abraham Lincoln

by Zelia from Poquoson

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
(http://our-hope.org/blog/2011/05/abraham-lincoln-a))

My hero is Abraham Lincoln. My Definition of a hero is someone who is admired for his courage, outstanding achievements, and helpfulness. Abraham Lincoln was born February 12th, 1809 in Hodgenville Kentucky. His nickname was "Honest Abe'' because he never lied. He was married to a widow, Mary Todd Lincoln, and they had 4 children. He was the tallest president, 6ft 4. His Mother Nancy Lincoln died when she was 33 from a Milk Sickness.

Abraham Lincoln was the first president to have a beard. He was the first president to be assassinated. He had deep depression even though he would frequently tell Jokes to his family and friends. He didn't like to hurt things, or even kill things even for food. One week before his death he had a dream of someone crying in one of the rooms of the White House, so he found the room and asked the man who had died. The man said, "You." He looked in the coffin and saw his own face

Lincoln joined the Republican Party in 1856, and he was president for four years from 1861-1865. He ran a store in new Salem before he was president. He created a National Banking system to go along with a national banking act in 1863 resulting in standardized currency. He preserved the union during the U.S Civil War. He didn't earn any awards but he did earn prestige, and honor. On April 14, 1865, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theater in Washington D.C. The attack came only five days after Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House ending the Civil War.

Abraham Lincoln and I have many similarities; we are courageous, helpful, and, smart. Abraham Lincoln is a hero to me because he helped to preserve the union. He did many things that helped us get through the Civil War. The last shot was fired June 22nd 1865, and the Union won!!!! He also signed the Thirteenth Amendment which abolished slavery, on January 1st 1863.

He was very courteous. He very helpful, if he saw anyone that needed help then he would help them. If I see anyone that needs help, then I would help them, too. I think that Abraham Lincoln is a very good hero; you could follow in his footsteps too one day. I learned that Abraham Lincoln was our 16th president, and that he was a great role-model to follow.