Abraham Lincoln

by Jonathan from Fresno

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, near Hodgeville, Kentucky. His parents were Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. They attended a church that had been separated from another one because of the opposition of slavery.

When he was young he got a nickname that was " Honest Abe'' because he impressed his residents with his character. He was tall, he measured 6'4'' and weighed about 180 pounds. He studied law and then became a lawyer in 1836. In 1839 he met Mary Todd. Three years later, they got married and had four children. Their children were Robert, Edward, William, and Thomas Lincoln. Lincoln was elected president on November 6, 1860 defeating Douglas John Bell, John C. Breckinridge. After 1861, the Lincolns left to Washington D.C. After his election, many southern states seceded from the union. He raised an army and decided to fight to keep them from falling apart. On January 1, 1863 The Emancipation Proclamation went into effect. That was his declaration of freedom for all slaves in the area of confederacy not under Union control. On April 14, 1865, John Wilkes Booth, a famous actor, and Confederate sympathizer, shot him at a play at Ford's Theater in Washington D.C. The attack was "only 5 days later after Confederate General Robert E. Lee, surrendered his massive army at the Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, ending the American Civil War." He passed away the next day at 7:22 A.M. That was the first time they had killed a president in the history of America. His body was taken to Springfield and was buried on May 14, 1865. Now he is remembered for his role as the leader in preserving the Union during the civil war and for beginning the process to end slavery in the United States.

This is why I think Abraham Lincoln is a hero to a lot of people.

Abraham Lincoln - by Roger Norton
Abraham Lincoln's Assassination - History.com