Abraham Lincoln

by Andrew from Suwanee

Abraham Lincoln: The 16th President (score.rims.k12.ca.us ())

"In the end, it's not the years in your life. It's the life in your years." This quote was by a man who was a hero to many, unjust to none, true to his intentions, ally with good, and one of the greatest people to ever grace the Earth. His name Abraham Lincoln. On February 12th, 1809, Abe Lincoln was born to Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks Lincoln and grew up in a log cabin in Kentucky. When he became president, he led America during the Civil War and helped rebuild the true America. Lincoln is considered a hero because of his many achievements in his great life while being the 16th president.

A young Abraham reading in his log cabin. (aboutabrahamlincoln.blogspot.com ())

Before Abraham Lincoln became the heroic figure that he is, Lincoln was born in a log cabin in Kentucky and later moved to Indiana where he learned to love reading from his stepmother after his mother died. He eventually got into the career of law and then entered politics in Illinois where he got married and later ran for president. Little did he know of all of the great things he would do.

Abraham Lincoln giving his Gettysburg Address (www.loc.com ())

Abraham Lincoln  was a hero to many because of his unmatched display of perseverance and compassion. Lincoln showed his trait of perseverance by taking charge of situations as disastrous as the Civil War that was raging in the separated Americas. Also, he showed perseverance when he gave powerful speeches like the Emancipation Proclamation, the Gettysburg Address, and even his presidential speech that claimed his spot as the 16th president. The text says, "Lincoln felt confident enough to reshape the cause of the war from saving the Union to abolishing slavery. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1st, 1863, which stated that all individuals who were born as slaves in rebellious states "henceforth shall be free" (Abraham Lincoln). This piece of information shows that during the horrors of war, Lincoln pushed forward and reshaped the cause of the war by issuing support and speeches like the Emancipation Proclamation. In addition to being perseverant, Abraham Lincoln was also compassionate to his allies as well as his enemies. The passage states, "In his planning for peace, the president was flexible and generous, encouraging Southerners to lay down their arms and join speedily in the reunion" (Abraham Lincoln 2006). This piece of evidence goes to show that after the war was over and the Union had won and the Confederacy had surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant, Abe was generous and offered the South a chance to redeem themselves by helping them rebuild America. In conclusion, Abraham Lincoln was perseverant by pushing forward in the face of war and pushed the war effort with his great speeches. He was also compassionate by not punishing the South too gravely for all the damage they had done. This hero will be remembered by all.

John Wilkes Booth assassinating Lincoln. (www.history.com ())

Unfortunately, Lincoln took a bullet to the head from the infamous southern supporting actor, John Wilkes Booth, on April 15, 1865. Lincoln tragically died the next day and blew a devastating blow to America. However, even with his soul in Heaven now, his legacy shines just as brightly as it did in the 1800s. For example, by abolishing slavery with the historic Emancipation Proclamation, he made keeping slaves a thing of the past and now there are no more slaves in America. Also, by ending the Civil War with the victory to the Union, he painstakingly pieced together the torn apart Americas. Now, the United States of America is a unified, free country thanks to Lincoln. Abe's influences have impacted our lives and will continue to do so.

Abraham Lincoln: the savior, the legend, the hero. This man has proven himself time and time again that he was the honest Abe that we always knew. From growing up in a log cabin to abolishing slavery and winning the Civil War, Lincoln has sure been through a lot. His perseverance and compassion stands out as second to none and his legacy reigns on. Overall, Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president who was unjust to none, ally of good, true to his intentions, and one of the greatest people to ever grace this Earth.   

Biography.com Editors. "Abraham Lincoln Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2015. .

Friedel, Frank, and Hugh Sidey. "Abraham Lincoln." The White House. The White House, n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2015. .

100 People Who Changed America. New York: Scholastic, 2004. Print.

"Abraham Lincoln Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2015. .