Amanda Eldridge

by Isaac from Essex Junction

"The highest of distinctions is service to others" -King George IV

Amanda Eldridge is an 8th grade Social Studies teacher at Albert D. Lawton School. She loves to spend time with her husband, Noah and her dog Tucker (the wonder dog). Amanda lives in Essex Town, where she coaches the Essex High School Girls Rugby Team.

Amanda enjoys volunteering with Help Kids India, a group that helps needy children in India. HKI has two major locations: Topsham, Vermont and Cody Canal, India. Obviously Amanda doesn't get to go to India often, but she was able to last year while traveling around the world. Amanda is pleased to say that she has been volunteering with HKI for about a year and a half.

As a faithful volunteer, Amanda holds many responsibilities. Some of those responsibilities include holding fundraisers and updating their website and Facebook. In the past, Amanda has traveled to India to work with 3-5 year olds in school. While in India, she installed a stove in the school so the kids had a way to heat their food and often helped to teach them. Amanda also learned yoga with them. She grew very close to the kids and found it a very humbling and amazing experience. Amanda has also grown close to the people she volunteers with, such as an old neighbor of her husband's and some school teachers in India. When asked why she choose to volunteer, Amanda responded, "I feel that it is a person's responsibility to give back." Amanda plans on volunteering indefinitely.

The toughest part about volunteering for Amanda is feeling as if she isn't doing enough. Amanda does as much as she can, but sometimes she feels as if there is a lot more to be done. Her favorite part about volunteering is the trickle effect. What she means by that is when students see her volunteering and helping, some of them choose to do it as well. This makes Amanda feel great knowing she helped someone get involved with volunteering. Amanda also loves the connections she makes with the people she volunteers with. Lastly, I asked Amanda one goal that she has for herself when it comes to volunteering. She said that her and Noah give a certain amount of money to HKI each year, and she would like to keep that up as long as possible.

Amanda is a devoted wife, coach, and volunteer. She inspires everyone through her hard work, effort, and perseverance. Amanda is someone that I and many others look up to. In the future, I hope to volunteer and change my community like Amanda.

Help Kids India - Help Kids India supports Indian children in need