Amelia Earhart

by Kelley from San Diego

(www.herstorynetwork.com)
(www.herstorynetwork.com)

"Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others." (Amelia Earhart). Amelia Earhart was put on this planet to help show the world that men and women are equal and can do anything imaginable. Amelia Mary Earhart was born on July 24, 1897, daughter of Edwin and Amy Otis Earhart. From age 1 to 12 she lived with her grandparents, Alfred and Amelia Hares Otis, in Atchison, Kansas. December 28, 1920 changed her life forever; it was the day Earhart took her first ride in a plane. But as much of a gift planes became in Earhart's life, they would also lead to her end. On January 5, 1939, Earhart and her husband went missing in the attempt to fly around the world and they were never found. A hero is able to do something that others are afraid of doing. Earhart was able to stand up for women in a time others could not. She proved women were capable of matching, and exceeding, men's capabilities. Through Amelia Earhart's desire for adventure, determination and courage she shows that women are as strong as men.

Amelia Earhart's adventurous spirit helped shape the world we live in today. Earhart was daring and questioned limits. "1931: Altitude record in an autogiro, first person to fly an autogiro across the United States and back" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Amelia Earhart was the first pilot to fly an autogiro plane across USA, proving it could be done regardless of gender. Even though it was dangerous and unproven, Earhart could not resist the temptation and demonstrated that she was "in it to win it." Amelia Earhart also chose to fly over never ending seas. "1935: First person to fly solo across the Pacific from Hawaii to California" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Earhart flew solo across the Pacific proving her abilities because if something went wrong she has only herself to rely on. Amelia broke flying records including solo flying and speed records. By being adventurous and standing out from the rest of the crowd Earhart proved that she was a woman to remember forever.

(en.wikipedia.org  ())
(en.wikipedia.org ())

Earhart was never complacent and she was always forward thinking. When Earhart encountered speed bumps in her path, she made sure not to get scared and run away from them but to fly right past them. "This record was shortly broken by someone else, and Earhart immediately set out remake it" (Explorers & Discoverers of the World). When Amelia Earhart's' records were broken, she stopped everything she was doing and set out to reclaim her title. Earhart wanted to prove that she was capable of matching and surpassing, anyone's flying abilities. But sometimes being determined means going against the ones you love in order to fulfill your dream. "She wanted to learn how to fly a plane but her father did not pay for her lessons so she had to get a job to pay for the lessons" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Even when people didn't believe she was capable, she still found a way to get money so she could learn to fly. She stayed focused, attacked obstacles and learned to keep moving forward. With a little bit of hope and determination Amelia Earhart could do anything she put her mind to.

Amelia Earhart did things other women could never imagine doing. Earhart had the courage to do what she wanted. "Earhart set a number of records, being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, first as a passenger and later, as a solo pilot." (Amelia Earhart) Amelia was courageous by flying across the Atlantic on a plane not only once but twice being confident in her planes capabilities. Woman of her time wouldn't even think of such outrageous ideas of flying a plane, but Amelia didn't resist her thinking nor did she care what anyone thought of her she just knew she wanted to fly. Amelia Earhart's most famous flight was "On May 20-21, 1932, she was the first women to fly across the Atlantic" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Some people called planes death traps but Amelia looked at them as wonderful invention of wire and wood. She was wild enough and adventurous to fly planes regardless of popular beliefs. Amelia Earhart wanted to prove her seriousness about flying that she took this challenge and demonstrated that she could do anything. Of all of Earhart's records and trips, the flight across the Atlantic solo was the flight made her famous and made her a hero in many minds.

(threeerat4ever.blogspot.com ())
(threeerat4ever.blogspot.com ())

Being a woman in the nineteen hundreds, Earhart proved anyone can pursue their dreams with a little adventure, perseverance, and bravery regardless of gender. As Amelia Earhart grew up she wanted to fly. She did whatever she could to pursue her dream and when she did learn to fly she wanted to be remembered forever. She decided to break and set nine different flying records. In a time when women were expected to stay home, have babies and care for their families, Earhart redefined her role and became an inspiration to others. She was a trailblazer for women everywhere. She was not what society defined a "proper lady" or a "sophisticated women". Instead, she followed her own path and became a hero; a hero who helped refine social standards and share the society we have today. 

Works Consulted

"The Official Website of Amelia Earhart." The Official Website of Amelia Earhart. Family of Amelia Earhart, 24 July 2012. Web. 22 Mar. 2013. 

"Amelia Earhart." Explorers & Discoverers of the World. Gale, 1993. Biography In Context. Web. 22 Mar. 2013.

Van, Pelt Lori. American Heroes: Amelia Earhart : The Sky's No Limit. New York: Forge, 2005.  Print.

"Amelia Earhart." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 20 Mar. 2013. Web. 25 Mar. 2013. .

"Amelia Mary Earhart." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Student Resources In Context. Web. 19 Mar. 2013.