Amelia Earhart

by Alaina from Atglen

Amelia and her "best friend"
Amelia and her "best friend"

Amelia Earhart

Amelia Earhart is an amazing person with an astounding story.  Her story starts out in Atchison, Kansas.   She was born on July 24th, 1897 and she mysteriously disappeared in 1937 though she was not officially declared dead until January 5th, 1939.  Although Amelia disappeared, she is still alive in the hearts of many.

Accomplishments

Amelia accomplished a lot.  She proved to women all over the world that they can do anything no matter what people say or the fact that they are women.  She also was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic.  See link below for more accomplishments.

Obstacles

Amelia had to overcome some major obstacles in her life.  As a child, she had an alcoholic father. Because of this, she had to switch schools often and didn't have all of the luxuries of life because her father couldn't keep a job.  Also, because she was a woman, lots of people were against her fame because flying was a "boy-thing "at that time.

What Made Her a Hero

There are many traits that made Amelia who she was. One of these is determination.   Amelia was determined to fly around the world and prove to the world that she could.  Amelia didn't let stereotyping stop her.  Another trait that Amelia had is valor.  Amelia had this trait because it took a lot of valor to leave her life to fly a plane.  She also was brave to go through storms.  The last trait that I found in Amelia is conviction. She truly believed that she could fly across the ocean.  She let nothing get in her way.

Did You Know?

Here are some interesting facts about Amelia Earhart:

Amelia saw her first plane at a state fair.  She was not impressed.

Amelia worked as a nurse's aid at the VA hospital before she started flying.

Apart from flying, Amelia liked fashion and photography.