Amelia Earhart

by Samantha from California

<a href=http://media.historynet.com/images/amelia-earhart.jpg>Amelia Earhart</a>
Amelia Earhart

My hero is Amelia Earhart. Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo across the United States. Amelia was born July 24, 1897. She was born in Atchison, Kansas. Amelia started to go to air shows and she soon was showing interest in planes and flying them. When Amelia's 24th birthday came around she bought her own airplane.

Amelia Earhart set flying as her first priority. She would even die to accomplish her goals of flying. She was the first person to fly from Hawaii to California. She successfully wrote two books about her flights. One was named "20 hrs. 40min". The other book was called "The fun of it". While writing books, she set speed and altitude records.

In 1937, Amelia tried to fly from Miami around the world with Fredrick J. Noonan. Amelia says," I have a feeling that there is just about one more good flight left in my system and I hope this trip is it." About two days later, their plane disappeared. No one knows for sure what happened to them. But many people have made theories.

Amelia Earhart is my hero because she is very brave and courageous. She showed bravery by flying from Hawaii to California. Amelia was determined to fly from Miami, Florida to California. Sadly, she didn't make it. I think she inspires many women to accomplish their goals.