Press_Release

The Walk Again Project And Dr. Miguel A.L. Nicolelis Earn MY HERO’s 2016 Immersive Storytelling Award

photo: AASDAP
photo: AASDAP
CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
[email protected]
949-376-5964

SANTA MONICA, CA - 11/1/2016 - The MY HERO Project is pleased to announce The Walk Again Project and Dr. Miguel A.L. Nicolelis as the recipients of the 2016 Immersive Storytelling Award at the Twelfth Annual MY HERO International Film Festival.

Dr.  Nicolelis, Professor of Neurobiology, Biomedical Engineering and Psychology and Neuroscience, and founder of Duke's Center for Neuroengineering is the founder of The Walk Again Project, an international consortium of scientists and engineers dedicated to the development of an exoskeleton device to assist severely paralyzed patients in regaining full body mobility.
photo: AASDAP
photo: AASDAP
Dr. Nicolelis and his colleagues are now using virtual reality in helping paraplegic individuals regain some muscle control and partial sensation in their lower limbs. According to a recently published scientific report, all eight patients who participated in this study have already gained some motor control. They began by using brain activity to control an avatar version of themselves, before moving on to a custom designed exoskeleton.
photo: AASDAP
photo: AASDAP

The award will be given at The MY HERO International Film Festival, November 19th at the Herb Alpert Educational Village at New Roads School in Santa Monica. For more information, visit The MY HERO Website (myhero.com).

photo: AASDAP
photo: AASDAP
photo: AASDAP
photo: AASDAP