Press_Release

The MY HERO International Film Festival announces the winners of The Relationships First Award

photo courtesy of the Human Society of Silicon Valley - Mutual Rescue: Eric & Peety

CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
949-376-5964

SANTA MONICA, CA - 11/8/2016 - The award, presented by the Foundation for the Contemporary Family, offers a cash prize to the film that conveys, in an innovative way, the powerful, poignant relationships present in today’s diverse contemporary couple and family situations.  

The Relationships First Prize was created by Dr. Judith Anderson and The Foundation for the Contemporary Family to encourage filmmaking that explores healthy relationships.  

For more about the Foundation for the Contemporary Family visit: http://www.foundationforcontemporaryfamily.org/

Dr. Judith Anderson is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the University of California, Irvine College of Medicine (UCI) where she teaches and supervises psychiatry residents as well as provides specialized training in couples therapy to many Southern California mental health agencies.  

In 2000, Judith created the Foundation for the Contemporary Family.  She has guided the Foundation in developing and supporting innovations in clinical training and research in couples and family therapy as well as creative intervention programs. The mission of the Foundation is to empower individuals to learn healthy relationship skills by increasing the public’s awareness of the value and benefit of healthy relationships; providing easy access to the best science-based information and resources; and serving as a catalyst for a new healthy relationships movement.  

Their work facilitates better relationship skills, better lives as people are happier and healthier in quality relationships and a better world because the same skills that make relationships better, like empathy and conflict resolution, make the world better.

This year there are TWO winners of the Relationships First Award:  Judy Anderson from The Foundation for the Contemporary Family felt that both of these films expressed a unique perspective about relationships so they upped the award to $1,000 for each film.

The first, MUTUAL RESCUE: ERIC AND PEETY, tell the story of Eric, who weighed 340 pounds six years ago when he was diagnosed with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and Type II diabetes.  His doctor told him he had 5 years to live. Then he met Peety and everything changed. Peety was adopted from the Humane Society of Silicon Valley.

Photo courtesy of Starbucks Original Series - Upstanders: The Mosque Across the Street
The second film to win the Relationships First Award this year is “Upstanders:  The Mosque Across the Street,” produced by Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran for the Starbucks Upstanders series.  The film explores what happens when a mosque moves across the street from a church in the Bible Belt.

Upstanders: The Mosque Across the Street - USA
Producer: Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran

The winning films will be screened at the MY HERO International Film Festival Screening on November 18th, 2016 and awarded prizes at the Awards Ceremony on November 19th, 2016 at The Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School - 3131 Olympic Blvd. Santa Monica 90404. myhero.com/festival2016

For more information about The MY HERO International Film Festival, email [email protected] or visit www.myhero.com/filmfestival