World Autism Awareness Day

APRIL 2

Celebrated to highlight the need to help improve the lives of children and adults with autism so they can lead full and meaningful lives.

FInd out about this camp for autisitc children

Ministry of Surf

By: Keith Reagan
An intimate look inside the healing power of water & surfing on autistic children and the surfers who offer "one perfect day" to kids!

Surfers Healing Autism Camps

By: Abigail Richardson
Surfers Healing, the original surf camp for children with autism was founded in 1996. Its mission is to enrich the lives of people living with autism by exposing them to the unique experience of surfing.

Stories

Doug Flutie

By: Tim from San Diego
Doug Flutie is the founder of the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism. An undersized quarterback, he exemplifies courage and relentlessness.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff
On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

The super nice guy

By: Matthew from Waxhaw

Matthew shares what it's like to have autism, and what he wishes others knew.

Lovey the Lovebird

By: Marcus Fennema
Lovey the Lovebird helped Marcus develop social skills to manage his ADHD and autism.

Read our editor's story about her autistic daughter and former MY HERO intern, Kitty Richardson.

Kitty Richardson

By: Abigail Richardson

Listen & Read Along

The following story has a link so you can hear the audio as you read. Great for ESL students and the visually impaired!

Temple Grandin

By: Kobie from Riley
Temple has spent her life studying autism and shares her knowledge and insights to help others.

Film

These winning films from our International Film Festival shed a unique light on autism.

Do You See Rainbow?

Kitty Richardson

Watch this film about autism which placed joint 1st in the MY HERO 2021 Festival in the Overcoming Obstacles Category

Lucy

Producer: Libby Blood
Lucy, an autistic child, turns her disability into a strength through her imagination.

Life in a Box

Producer: Leen, Ramez, Sabal & Najaa
Hatem is a heroic young autistic boy living in Jordan.

El Abuelo [Trailer]

Producer: Patrick Scott/Stephen Crutchfield
Nick, an autistic boy, doesn't speak. It is only when Nick is befriended by an illegal Mexican laborer, El Abuelo, that he finds his voice.

MY LIFE'S STORY: GROWING UP WITH AUTISM

Kenny Valdivia

Suitcase

Producer: Michael Brown
Along with interviews that include doctors Scott Hunter and Kathleen Hopkins, this film brings fun and encouraging news that Autism is nothing but an obstacle.

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by Deborah Neff and Abigail Richardson.

Organizer created on 3/8/2014 5:49:20 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 3/4/2024 11:51:46 AM by Abigail Richardson