Robyn Van En

With access to a farm, many are dazzled by the bounty and wonders of nature. I love to see grown people awed by the delicate beauty of a carrot seedling.

Robyn Van En was one of the founders of Community Supported Agriculture, an organization created to give farmers the resources that would help them have more control over their businesses.

Because organic farming costs more, it is difficult for a farmer to use organic methods without going bankrupt. The purpose of CSA is to provide support to organic farmers by promoting patronage of member farms within their own community. CSA farms work with food-buyers in their areas by delivering "subscription" produce baskets, setting up small stands where people can buy freshly-harvested vegetables and fruits, and by offering tours.

Van En, who owned the small Indian Line Farm in Massachusetts, hosted CSA's first venture, a small apple orchard on her land. She assisted in the creation of over 200 other CSA farms in other states, and travelled around the country speaking and educating people about the benefits of buying fresh, local, organic produce from CSA member farms.

Robyn Van En died unexpectedly in January, 1997. The Robyn Van En Center for CSA Resources continues her work.