Paul Watson

by Kalista from Anmore, Canada

My hero is Paul Watson! Paul Watson is a Canadian environmentalist and is also the captain of the Sea Shepherds. The Sea Shepherds are trying to stop people from killing animals such as sharks, whales, and seals. What I think of Paul Watson is that he is a hero who saves lives!

When he was nine years old, he was a member of the Kindness Club. He had a beaver 'friend' that was trapped and killed. After the beaver was killed, Paul decided to destroy leg holes traps. Paul also tried to prevent people from shooting birds and deer. In 1969 Paul was co-founder of "Green Peace" and tried to stop nuclear testing. With Green Peace, he also tried to stop seal hunting. Then in 1977 the Sea Shepherds started!

Paul Watson is trying to stop the Japanese from killing whales, dolphins, and sharks. Canada is killing seals, and Spain, Norway and Iceland are killing whales. People are killing sea cucumbers in the Galapagos Islands. People are chopping down Mangrove trees in the Galapagos Islands too and taking illegal fishing lines out into the ocean there. All this is killing animals (in the ocean) and Paul Watson and his crew are trying to stop this!

Paul Watson and his crew are on a ship called the Sea Shepherd. They go to the sea and do what ever they can to stop the killing of sea animals, like throwing butter and stink bombs on the boats. I think Paul and his crew have a lot of courage and perseverance because if you want to join his crew you have to face the risk of dying. One time when Paul and his crew were trying to stop the Japanese Paul got shot but luckily Paul was wearing his bullet proof vest!

Paul Watson is important and inspires me because if Paul Watson was not here, more whales and seals would be endangered. The killing in the Galapagos Islands would still be happening. I hope you learned about Paul Watson and had a nice time reading about him and now maybe he is your hero too!